pto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pto

HI guys, my 47 WDX has a front winch and on the rear of the transfer case opposite the front pto shaft is a shaft stub comming out. It has a light craft type tape covering the stub. Can a yolk be put on this and a rear pto drive installed ? As far as I know this truck did not have this from the factory as I am the 2nd owner, thanks paul.

Rear shaft.

Preaction,
    Your description is somewhat confusing to me. Are you sure you are talking about the transfer case or the PTO mounted on the side of the transmission?
    The attached photo shows the PTO on my '47 WDX. The rear facing shaft can be used for other pto driven equipment.
    DavidGB
    Attached Files

Comment

Daived you are correct, it is the transmission and not the transfer case. So the short shaft comming out is right for the transmission with a front pto, as my truck is the same as yours, thanks paul. Also thanks for the pic, I have taken many of them but I am still not any good at posting them, soon .

Comment

By the look of your choice of tire, maybe you'd like a rear PTO driven winch!

If the pto is engaged, both front and rear output shafts will turn, because they are a common shaft. This is significant when you are planning on using multiple pto accesories on your truck.

Be aware that if you are in the habit of keeping the front winch engaged when not in use, and unencumbered by the thought process, you engage your rear pto accesory....

....your truck WILL get shorter.

CD
        1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
        1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
        2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
        1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
        1954 Ford 860 tractor
        1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
        UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

PTO use

CD,
          I always keep the winch disengaged at the winch when not actively using it and, of course, the PTO disengaged when not in use as well. Having had occasion in the past to use winches for some very heavy duty work I have first hand experience of the power involved. I also had an acquaintance who once owned a towing company. He was missing part of his jaw as the result of a cable parting. He considered himself lucky under the circumstances.
          The TSL's you picked up on are a spare set that were on while I was working on the stock rims. I actually have some larger and at least as "aggressive" tires for the truck, but these are because I like the look and not because of any intended use for the truck. The WDX I currently have has managed to survive it's first 65 years so remarkably well that my intention is to allow it an easy life in it's old age. :)
          DavidGB

Comment

safty wire

David, I noticed in your photo that some of the bolts underneath your truck have safety wire on them, my truck also has many places with this, is that common to all power wagons ? Also your pic of your truck could as well been taken under my 47, they look very much the same underneath.

Comment

Wire tied nuts

Preaction,
              My memory for that sort of detail is probably not that reliable. However, it seems to me that it is a fairly common thing to find on PW's. You are very observant to have picked that up from that photo. I had to run out and crawl under that truck when I read your post. I noticed that I too have remnants of masking tape on the rear PTO output shaft. Probably meant to hold a key in place (long gone.) This is the first time I have ever noticed such remnants and think it is amazing that both your truck and mine still have such after 65 years. I am more than ever looking forward to seeing some pics of your truck.
              DavidGB

Comment

My '54 FFPW also has tape (in good condition) on the rear output shaft. I haven't looked to see if there is a key under the tape. Also many of the bolts are safety wired in place.

Nice to have a truck that hasn't been molested.

Comment

PTO tape

GMHarris,
                  If you get a chance to look and see if there is or is not a key held in place by that tape, please report back. Although a minor detail I am interested to know about it. I wonder if a "correctly" restored PW should include this detail.
                  DavidGB

Comment

You would think there would be, but there is no evidence of a a key beneath the tape.

Comment

PTO tape

Interesting. Perhaps it was just meant to protect the shaft from corrosion.
                      DavidGB

Comment

just tape

as it says, no key to speak of just a good covering of brown tape.

Comment

Originally posted by preaction View Post
                          David, I noticed in your photo that some of the bolts underneath your truck have safety wire on them, my truck also has many places with this, is that common to all power wagons ? Also your pic of your truck could as well been taken under my 47, they look very much the same underneath.
                          Saftey wiring of bolts are common throughout these trucks...all 4 t-case mounting bolts, PTO shaft yoke bolts, and shifting fork bolts within both the t-case and transmission all come to mind.

CD
                          1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                          1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                          2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                          1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                          1954 Ford 860 tractor
                          1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                          UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Working...
                          X