steering knuckle how much grease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering knuckle how much grease

I recently just bought a 73 w300 and changed all diff fluids to 90w but when i got to the knuckle ends i thought there was gearoil in there but its a thick grease i just wanted to know how much to put in there and what kind thanks!!

There is a tiny plug on the bottom of the ball. Remove it. There is a grease zerk on the top of the knuckle. Add grease until some grease comes out of the hole the plug came out of. It may take a lot of grease. I use a good NLGI-2 red chassis grease.

MM

Comment

grease

theres a pipe plug halfway up the housing i know of but will have to look for the tiny plug with the zerk in it any pics of it?

Comment

Here is the plug with a zerk in it's place.

If I remember correctly, mine took about 2 tubes of grease to pack it full when I did it

Comment

What kind ?

Originally posted by wooddog View Post
          I recently just bought a 73 w300 and changed all diff fluids to 90w but when i got to the knuckle ends i thought there was gearoil in there but its a thick grease i just wanted to know how much to put in there and what kind thanks!!
          Dodge used short Fiber grease

Heres a little speal about this stuff I found on line

Even though long fiber bearing grease is typically used for wheel bearings, short fiber bearing grease will work just as well because of the liquid-like nature of the lubricant. This allows the short fiber bearing grease to work into the wheel bearing, keeping the entire bearing greased rather than just the portions of the bearing that the grease comes in direct contact with.

From a article called uses for Short Fiber grease

Frank

Comment

No fitting on mine......?

Finally pulled the front drums to repair the brakes and lube everything and both my knuckels have is a pipe plug in the back and no grease fitting. I think the plug is visible on the left of the picture of the grease fitting above. So, I guess I just pull the plug and pack as much as I can get in it?
            I think the previous owner filled it with a grease like the differential because the front brakes were soaked with oil.
            Fun, fun, fun...

Comment

A pipe plug is normal. There should be a grease fitting on the top of the knuckle. The manual states to pull the plug and pump grease into the top of the knuckle till it comes out the plug.

Some people recommend reversing that and pulling the upper fitting and screwing a grease fitting in the lower plug hole and pumping till it comes out the top.

The second option makes sense since if the grease settles on the bottom then you will be pushing any air out the top, though it has to be pushed through the bearing so you are going to pressurize the housing.

If you're finding oil on the brakes then it's usually because the axle seal between the housing and the knucle is bad and the gear lube and axle grease can mingle.

Comment

Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
                A pipe plug is normal. There should be a grease fitting on the top of the knuckle. The manual states to pull the plug and pump grease into the top of the knuckle till it comes out the plug.

Some people recommend reversing that and pulling the upper fitting and screwing a grease fitting in the lower plug hole and pumping till it comes out the top.

The second option makes sense since if the grease settles on the bottom then you will be pushing any air out the top, though it has to be pushed through the bearing so you are going to pressurize the housing.

If you're finding oil on the brakes then it's usually because the axle seal between the housing and the knucle is bad and the gear lube and axle grease can mingle.
                It may be a bit of an overstatement to say you are preasurizing the housing. The knuckle felts are permiable. Too much preasure and the the grease will just start oozing out and make a mess all over the steering knuckle.
                1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                1954 Ford 860 tractor
                1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Went over it with a scraper and solvent....

couldn't even find a spot that might have been a place for a fitting. This is a '57 TW-PW w/ Dana 44 axle and closed knuckle.
                  Thanks for the help guys... I'm just going to do the best I can filling it up.
                  DrPepper

Comment

Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post

This is exactly what I did. Sorry I wasn't more clear! Take the upper fitting out and screw it in where the plug was

Comment

Working...
                    X