part # for 56 PW Front Shock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• part # for 56 PW Front Shock?

Does anyone know for sure what the right part number is for the front shocks for a 56 Power Wagon? I've heard Monroe 66707, but I hate to order them if that is not right. The extended length and compressed length is close to what I have in the truck, but off by an inch or two.

The center of the bushings needs to be about 0.701" according to my caliper. Could be 11/16 or even 3/4".

I just hate to order something and it be wrong. The local NAPA and Federated came up empty. VPW has some thing that will work, but they are $150 a pair.

Wayne

The Monro Gas-Magnum 60 #66707 (16.0" compressed & 25.5" extended) is the correct shock for original equipment. The end type is referred to as an "L4".
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Thank you. It was not clear to me that the bushing size was correct, but it is about 11/16 or 3/4"?

thanks

Wayne

Comment

Well, the Monroe 66707 has a very different bushing... But, the good news is NAPA 76853 (which looks like the same shock) has the right bushings for my 56 PW.

If anyone wants a set of 66707 please let me know....

regards

Wayne

Comment

would that same shock fit a 54 ?

Comment

I have 4 new shocks but the rubber bushings are missing.

Comment

Ron: I am almost certain at least the bushing changed in 56. Do you know what the ID is of your bushing? Or better yet, mic the shaft.

regards

Wayne

Comment

ok so what shock is it? the monroe or the napa one? i was going to order the monroe ones for my 53..

Comment

The Monroe's fit my 46 which has the cast shock mounts both front and rear.

Comment

Scott: my 56 used the NAPA 76853. Everything fit as it should, just the yellow paint they used was a bit to much for me.

Wayne

Comment

ok, so what is the difference between the two? i have a 53 and was going to get the monroe ones, i can just paint them..

Comment

Scott: at least on my 56 the bushings were the wrong size and not easily changed. I bought them from Rock Auto and they took the wrong ones back without any drama.

Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by scott nepa View Post
                          ok, so what is the difference between the two? i have a 53 and was going to get the monroe ones, i can just paint them..
                          From what I've seen at some point Dodge moved the shock mounts and changed the design. The mounting shaft of the later design is smaller so the Monroes won't work. Might actually be easier to get something for those, the large mounting shafts really limit options for the older style.

Comment

Another shock that fits the 1954 C1-PW6 is the Monroe Gas Magnum 74424.

It is a perfect fit, and comes with installed bushings. I compared these shocks to originals, and they matched in all respects.
                            John

Comment

Working...
                            X