some one to do restoration work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some one to do restoration work

I'm fairly new to this but i have a barn fresh 48 2 owner. Engine is free but hasen't run in 8 to 10 years.I'm mechanically inept but would love to see this restored. Stay with the drum brakes and some mods to the original 230. I know and understand the limitations and i'm fine with that. What i'm looking for is helpfull advice pro's and con's on who to contact about doing the work. i'm not looking for anyone who has an axe to grind or to bad mouth any one. Just looking for a disscussion about how to go about finding an honest reliable person/ bussiness to do the restoration. Thanks for your help. brk1

Any competent mechanic can work on these vehicles. Most of us who have these Power Wagons are just "shade tree" mechanics. No need to pay for a "restorer".

Perhaps, there is someone on this forum who is local to you who would be willing to give you an appraisal of what's needed. Photos and a better description will help people give you better advice.

Unless you are willing to spend a lot of money, this vehicle is probably not for you. You will be "throwing" thousand dollar bills at this truck and, in the end, you will never get your money back.

If you really want a Power Wagon and can't do the mechanical work, the best thing to do is buy one in the condition you want. You will be time, money and effort ahead.

Comment

Restoration Work

GM provided good advice and I'll give you a personal example. I bought my 61 WM300 last year. It was mostly restored by the last owner, some work was very good and some was very poor. Long story, but I've spent nine months fixing the bad and still have more to do.

The last owner did none of the restoration, but had the truck shipped across the Midwest, having different mechanics and body guys "restore" it. I have his receipts for this "restoration" totaling $71,000 (does not include the transportation expenses) of which I verified much of it and spoke to three of the guys that worked on it. Needless to say, I bought it for less than half what he had invested.

On the other hand, two months after I bought this, I found what I consider a great deal on a 1950 B2-PW that was sitting in a field in Alaska for 15 years. Paid $1,000 and it is a restoration project for my son, grandson and me over the next 10-15 years. When we're done, it will be my now 19-month old grandson's truck. PWs in similar condition are going for $3-5,000 in the Lower 48.

I know I will pay for some this work to be done and I'm not even quite a shade tree mechanic, but my son and I can do a lot of it and I have friends that can assist.

As GM says, if you want a restored PW, but can't do the work, buy one that has already been done because you will save money in the long run.

Comment

You could try these guys:
        Legacy Power wagons in Jackson WY.
        1.888.589.1664, or at 307.734.6500.

Like it's been said, most do their own and learn on the way...

Comment

Dr Dent

Dr Dent "Ron Reichhart" is currently doing a resto on my 1975 W200 crew cab. Ron just finished a resto on serial# 1 57 power giant for the owner of Vintage Power wagons. He lives in Indiana. He is at the FAirfield Iowa rally right now but he checks this site regularly

Comment

I appreciate all your comments and ideas. Thanks brk1

Comment

Just a thought...

You get what you pay for.

So please beware. Restoration work is expensive. It is not the same work a "production shop" does. I have two friends who do a lot of repair work for Geico, USAA, State Farm, etc. Go into the shop, on the wall is posted an hourly rate. Ask them if they will work on your truck for that rate...

I'm sorry to tell you that most all body shops assume about a 3:1 ratio for book time versus getr done time. A good body shop will do the 9 hour job in three.

Doing this work right also takes experience. I'm a novice, and like a few other things I've learned, it takes a few practice runs to get things right. Find a shop who specializes in antique and preferably power wagon restorations.

For the first time in probably 58 years the transmission on my 56 PW does not leak. Yea, I've heard more than once I am too picky and a few other words, but trust me, when the folks built them they were not supposed to leak.

Do you want a 100% job, or are you ok with a 50 foot job?
              Do you want it block sanded? So much of your cost depends on what you are looking for.

I drove my truck to work today. 18 miles. The MP at the gate said "I can't believe you drove it to work". I said "What good is it sitting in the garage". And yes, my perfect finish on the underside of my flat fenders got a few more chips...

Email me at wayne@flymha.com for more offline opinions with names and numbers.

Good luck!

Wayne

Comment

Working...
              X