Starter problems- Something I did?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter problems- Something I did?

Just had my starter rebuilt for my WM300. They replaced the drive gear and it was seated back about 1" I bench tested the unit and it ran up instantly. Problem is the drive gear doesn't retract back far enough. Should these only be run up installed to keep the bendix spacing/return distance?

Did I know this in 1966 and forgot it in 2012 :)

Thanks.

I am wondering if they put the wrong drive on it.

Take it back to where you had the work done and explain the problem to them.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Starter ignorance

Thanks Gordon, I just missed them as they are open Sat til 12 noon cause they are the only heavy duty truck electrics shop in town now. I spent about 4 hours reading about starters and have come to the conclusion there's nothing wrong with the drive gear position.

I'm used to the "modern" units that have an electrical solenoid engagement, and not these centrifugal "bendix gear" units that need the flywheel speed to throw them back to the retracted position.

Having said that, I'm gonna call the rebuild shop Monday at 6am when they open and confirm this is the case before I mount and run it.

I'm pretty sure they used the correct gear; the shop foreman recognized the starter immediately as a DD Chrysler/Dodge Prestolite, and even knew the year range. They refurbed the unit while I waited in about 2 hrs.

During that time I spent rummaging through the old parts bins at the suggestion of the counter guys, and found lots of NOS electric parts and goodies for trucks of our period and application.

I'm still looking for a good article on these type starters and will post when/if I find one.

Comment

Some of those starters i have seen have to have the drive wound back in so to speak, the bendix isn't to be engaged until it is installed. I don't remember specifics but i believe they were 251 starters. The bad side is they have to be disassembled to be wound back.
        1967 W200.aka.Hank
        1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
        2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Working...
        X