1961 FFPW- 1 Ton-Manifild Heat Riser Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 FFPW- 1 Ton-Manifild Heat Riser Valve

I am having trouble with the thermostatic spring on the heat riser valve on my 251 engine. The spring is shot and I'm having no luck finding a replacement. Is the valve shut when the hook type counterbalance is all the way forward and open when the counterbalance is all the way back? The counter balance looks like an inverted head of a golf club oriented to the left when you look at it from the side. Also, is there any other substitute thermostatic spring that somebody has adapted to work on the valve? If I can't find something, I guess I'll have to wire the valve closed as it is overheating my engine. Thanks in advance for the help......Keith.

Check with Vintage Power Wagons for that spring.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

1961 FFPW 1-Ton Manifold Heat Riser

Thank you Gordon. I actually checked with them first. They have no thermostatic springs and apparently haven't for some time. They could offer no assistance as they didn't anticipate finding any anytime soon. I'm back to wondering if anybody has an alternative solution with respect to an adaptation of some kind. Thanks.....Keith.

Comment

Google heat riser valve springs.

See if any look close.

Comment

heat riser spring

Lots of wwII trucks had a similar spring, I'd recommend trying one from a willys mb, Lots of ford trucks had a similar setup. also check with John at midwest military, good guy to deal with.

Comment

1961 FFPW 1-ton Manifold Heat Riser Valve

Will check as suggested. Appreciate the input fom Gordon and Matthew. Will let you know how it comes-out.....Keith.

Comment

You may need to calibrate it so it was sure to be open when warm.

Comment

Found something on Google..

Might give you some help...

http://www.hamiltonmanufacturing.ca/hrv.htm

Scroll down to #HR601 Kit, for rebuilding heat riser valves on old Mopars. If the body is good it might be worthwhile to drill it out and rebuild it.

Comment

1961 FFPW- 1 Ton- Manifold Heat Riser Valve

Thanks for the input Dr. Pepper. Checking the site. Meanwhile, how does one regulate an alternative spring? Cut it shorter? Don't wind it as tight?....Keith.

Comment

Trial and do it again.....until it works..!!!

I'm not even sure what your set up looks like but the basic system with a bimetal spring is either on or off. The springs unwind (or visa-versa) when hot and the valve opens and closes against stops. You could try to time it or get fancy but if the spring holds it closed when cold and you hit it with a heat-gun and it opens all the way to the stop, it will probably work when the manifold gets hot.
                    Where is McGuiver when you need him....!!!!
                    Any corrections or comments...?
                    DrP

Comment

This is ignoring any particular method. Be sure it opens when warm. Even if you have it so it does not close all the way. It needs to open fully when warm. You might ruin a spring learning how to do it.

Comment

1961 FFPW- 1 ton Manifold Heat Riser Valve

Thanks DrP and Gordon. Advice noted.....Keith.

Comment

Working...
                        X