Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '55 C3-PW6 Specs & Capacities

Hello,

I was wondering if someone knew/verify the following specs/capacities of a '55 C3-PW6

GVWR: ? I think it is 8700 lbs
    Curb Weight: ? lbs
    Payload: ? I think it is 6500 lbs Rear, 3750 lbs Front
    Towing: ? lbs

I am mostly interested in the curb weight as I am looking to get a trailer for the truck to be towed on.

Thanks
    Mike

I believe it's about 5,500 lb., but someone else can verify.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by hoffz31 View Post
      Hello,

I was wondering if someone knew/verify the following specs/capacities of a '55 C3-PW6

GVWR: ? I think it is 8700 lbs
      Curb Weight: ? lbs
      Payload: ? I think it is 6500 lbs Rear, 3750 lbs Front
      Towing: ? lbs

I am mostly interested in the curb weight as I am looking to get a trailer for the truck to be towed on.

Thanks
      Mike
      The GVWR could be 7800, 8700, or 9500 lbs. (there may have been more) depending upon the size and load range of the tires the truck was ordered with and the spring rating of the suspension.

You will find curb weights all over the board and very hard to estimate. There were a lot of different options for the Power-Wagons, some weighing much more than others. It will also depend upon whether the truck has an original pickup bed or a flatbed (or other aftermarket bed) and whether that is constructed of wood or steel. To be safe, figure at least 6000 lb.

I have never seen any Chrysler documentation stating the towing capacity of the truck. I don't think they even considered it important at the time. Probably the biggest thing limiting how much you can tow is the brakes.

At times I tow a trailer that when fully loaded weighs 2500 lb. With that load, I notice no change in braking ability or engine power, but, I keep my stock brakes maintained and adjusted properly. The truck is much heavier than the loaded trailer and I can hardly tell it is even behind me.

Comment

Thank you, Clint!
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

trailer for PW

I have a "Big Tex" 18' bed, twin axle, 7000lb GVW trailer and when I originally towed my WDX (w/winch and 2nd series bed) home, it was obviously overloaded. It was a 4 hour drive and I stopped constantly to check the tires etc. Thank goodness there were no bored DOT gents out that day. I think you would be better served with a trailer rated for at least 10k.
          DavidGB

Comment

Originally posted by DavidGB View Post
            I have a "Big Tex" 18' bed, twin axle, 7000lb GVW trailer and when I originally towed my WDX (w/winch and 2nd series bed) home, it was obviously overloaded. It was a 4 hour drive and I stopped constantly to check the tires etc. Thank goodness there were no bored DOT gents out that day. I think you would be better served with a trailer rated for at least 10k.
            DavidGB
            At least 10K for certain; remember the weight of the trailer must be added to the weight of the load you are hauling. The trailer's rated GVW should be more than the trailer tare weight and the truck you are hauling to be sure you are covered and legal. Believe me, if you were to happen upon a bored DOT inspector, they will clean your clock with citations; a combination of tag rated towing vehicle, over axle weight, and overall weight citations, will be the likely outcome. In NC, that usually amounts to well over a $1,000 worth at a single clip. They figure it by the #, that runs up quickly. Distance between axles, type of tires & rims on the trailer, and several other factors play a part also. Makes you wish you had bought a heavier trailer very quickly; $$$ much better spent.

Comment

Trailer for PW

Charles,
              You are absolutely correct in all respects. I will make no excuses for having towed a load that I probably shouldn't have towed and until I have something bigger may do so again. However, I have recently upgraded my tow vehicle to one that can also accept a gooseneck type set up and if and when I can afford to, I hope to sell the 7k trailer and get a gooseneck style with a significantly greater GVW rating. My motivation is based on the fact that I enjoy towing a good deal more when I am not worrying about wether or not I will make it.
              And back to the question of the weight of a PW. -
              http://www.texaspowerwagon.com/dimension.htm
              Scroll down to "Weight"
              DavidGB

Comment

Working...
              X