Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration Begins!

Hello Everyone

I 'll be posting as I move forward on the restoration of a 56 power wagon up here in Canada. I'll try and post lots of pic and description as I go along.

First question, where do I find reproduction sheet metal for the floor pan foot rest? Such a thing available?

P.S. Almost sold them a couple weeks ago but decided against it..I waited too long to start a this project. May take some time but its childhood dream!

Thanks

Ray
    Attached Files

Subscribed! Good luck, I am starting to restore my 55 also. Actually, just trying to get it running first. I'll be interested on hearing if any sheet metal is available for these as I need those areas too. I suspect we'll have to fab those from scratch or buy a donor cab...
    Attached Files

Comment

Welcome and good luck on the truck. I've not seen any reproduction panels for that area. I've made my own out of 16ga sheet metal.
      I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
      Will
      WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
      1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
      1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
      1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
      2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Got mine off of eBay many moons ago now. Don't remember who the seller was off the top of my head, but I haven't seen them since.

Comment

floorboards

Try John at midwest military, I know he's making wwII floor pieces, and sheets of diamond stamped sheetmetal like factory.

Comment

Ok Thanks Mathew. I will give Midwest a try and post my findings.

Comment

A little more progress

Slow progress but got to tearing apart more stuff this past weekend. Man I'm going to be busy for a while! Should of seen my wife's eyes when I pulled it all in to driveway last fall and started filling the yard up with parts. Picture of the shop being extended for the sleeping beauty:)

Lots of cutting and grinding to get the winch out of the 56. Dreaded steering wheel...will be trying the bearing puller first to see if I have any success. Sprayed lots of WD40!
              Attached Files

Comment

More Pics
                Attached Files

Comment

Putting Green Power in Power Wagon Restoration

For Those who Like all things POWER! Solar Power for the shop and home.. clean green energy for this restoration!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Fenders, doors, running boards and rad are off! Frame needs attention, yikes!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Great thread, keep it up!
                      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Original Door Found!

As a FFPW enthusiastic I'm always on the look out for parts and trucks in the area. They are around but well hidden since our topography tends to swallow them up.

When I purchased the 56 the drivers door was missing. I asked the owner at the time if he knew what happen to the door? The truck had been sitting for 10 + years. He knew the owner previously and the door was missing when he had too.

Long story short I was at the neighbors for avisit. When I arrived he had friend over who said, "hey your the guy with all the PW wagon trucks and parts in his yard", chuckling from embarrassment of the mess I replied," yes". As we got talking the friend said he use to own a FFPW and had retrofitted the winch to skid logs when he built his home 40 years ago. I said really, I think I own that rig now and its missing the drivers side door. After a brief discussion it was determined the original dodge yellow PW truck I purchased 2 yrs ago he had owned 40 years ago to build his home. It was really interesting to learn the history of the old truck. I asked him if he happen to know what happen to the dr side door. He paused and said "you know I think I do.

That saturday I headed over to his property. In the back forty among the old 2 ton dodges sat my door hi and dry over a rock among some other sheet metals. What a find and story to go along with it! The unique nameplate is really interesting too. Not factory but certainly produced by someone mechanically to make ensure the data was accessible. It matches the factory nameplate and frame numbers. Has anyone seen this before? I will be using these in my resto. A unique feature if I can say.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Ray,
                          I see your truck front chrome says Dodge, not Fargo (Canadian version). That would make me think it was built in the States. But, the plate you show on the door you located for it spells color "colour". Colour is how the Brits and you Canadians spell it, correctt?
                          Could this truck have been a Fargo but had a Dodge name plate added above the radiator. Or been a Dodge with a Fargo door?
                          ???

Comment

Hi Doc,

Excellent observation. Certainly is in CND spelling. It is an original Dodge-The original nameplate on the dr door frame is confirms it too. The exact origin I don't know just yet. Makes me think the PW came over from the US-special order perhaps?? The outfit that received it in Canada went through the trouble of making these new custom nameplates in very good detail. What's also interesting is they stenciled in between the two wiper motor cvr plates " 2 Pass Only". So it makes me think this was owned by a township or a business that had a fleet-custom nameplates and stenciling was standard practice.

Comment

That makes sense...a special order from Dodge to a Canadian customer like a township with custom interior plates.
                              It would be great if you could order the factory "build card" on your truck.
                              On my truck I was able to get the build card from the Chrysler Historical place outside Detroit. I found out, for example, that my truck was shipped by water on Lake Erie in the initial phase of its journey to its eventual destination, Carbondale, PA. It also listed the original accessories.
                              If you are interested, do a search on this and Joe's forum for build cards. Some years are available and some aren't. Kevin Claus who posts mainly on Joe's forum is an expert on deciphering the build cards.

Comment

Working...
                              X