wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wont start

i have a 63 wm300 with a 251 motor i have fuel spark compression timing everything it needs to run but i cannot get it to does anyone have any ideas if so plz give me a call at 1260 701 3634 my name is john and i live in indiana

How about a little bit of history. Did it run recently? Has it been partly disassembled? Have you replaced any parts or removed the distributor?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I'm with Gorden, need more info. What did you do to verify it has fuel, spark, and compression? i.e. is there fuel coming out of the fuel pump and the carberator? How old is it? Did you try pouring some fuel in the intake? Did you check compression on all cylinders? Same with spark. Check ignition timing?

Comment

i just bought the truck it hasnt ran since 07 i checked the timing put new points and condencer in i dumped fresh fuel down the intake checked compression checked spark at each plug i checked the valve to make sure they are opening and closing the only thing i know that has been done is i pulled the dist. to put the points in other than that i bumped it over till it blew my finger off number one then i put everything back together

Comment

Originally posted by dodgeman41983 View Post
          i just bought the truck it hasnt ran since 07 i checked the timing put new points and condencer in i dumped fresh fuel down the intake checked compression checked spark at each plug i checked the valve to make sure they are opening and closing the only thing i know that has been done is i pulled the dist. to put the points in other than that i bumped it over till it blew my finger off number one then i put everything back together
          Be careful about "dumping" fuel down the intake. You can easily flood the engine so that it won't fire at all. Too much fuel down the carb can also wash lubrication off the cylinder walls. A squirt bottle is a good way to prime a carb. But, I always use starting fluid to check the ignition and eliminate the fuel system as the problem.

Chances are, however, that you messed something up on the ignition.

Comment

i really dont know what i coulda messed up i pu everything back together as the book shows i have spark just after number one cly. passes tdc

Comment

About 40 years ago somebody told me all an engine needed to run was fuel, compression and ignition. It sounds like you are certain you have a nice spark, you say you checked the compression (on all cylinders?, what was it?) and you put some gas in the carb. My book says if you really have compression and spark, and you put some gas in the carb your timing could be WAY off. Any chance that is the case? Are you getting any cough at all? Have you tried a bit of ether maybe?

Wayne

Comment

And just to state the obvious. Since you've had all the ignition parts out of the engine. Have you double checked to make sure you have all the plug wires in the right order?

How did you verify the valves were opening?

Comment

yes i have had 2 people check the plug wires for me and on the valves i stuck a small but stiff piece of hose down the plug hole and you can feel the valves opening and closing

Comment

What were your compression figures?

Comment

Originally posted by dodgeman41983 View Post
                      yes i have had 2 people check the plug wires for me and on the valves i stuck a small but stiff piece of hose down the plug hole and you can feel the valves opening and closing
                      So... I wonder why you stuck a hose down the plug holes if you had good compression?

Wayne

Comment

As an automotive instructor I found that of all the no-starts students had in engine assembly virtually all of them were from having the distributor in 180 degrees out. TDC of the wrong stroke.

Start over on your distributor installation. Prove to yourself it is in right.

Comment

Funny story here. I was 15 years old I "rebuilt" a two wheeled garden tractor. The rebuilt included new rings, piston and connecting rod since they broke due to lack of oil. (we put less oil in it so it would not smoke to make up for the broken oil ring....) When it was all back together it would not start. This 15 year old farm boy was getting mad and pulling and pulling. Then my Grandfather says "does it have gas?". I said some unpleasant words indicating of course you old man it has gas, pulled some more, put some gas in, and it started right up... 40 years later I tell that story ...

Wayne

Comment

gordon all the cly are between 55 and 60 psi

Comment

For some reason I thought the compression should be well above that, closer to 125 PSI....

Wayne

Comment

Working...
                              X