1961 ffpw- 251 cid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 ffpw- 251 cid

It's time to time my engine and set her at 5 degrees BTDC. I can't make out the timing marks on the chain cover. I've seen a picture somewhere of how they are supposed to look, but can't remember where. There's a v notch in the timing mark tab and I believe one or two marks either side of it. I suspect 5 degrees is the furthest mark left and perhaps 2.5 degrees is the next one right. Can anybody clarify for me and/or post a picture of what the timing marks are supposed to look like on the 251? Your assistance is much appreciated.....Keith.

OK, so I finally put the timing light on my 230 two weeks ago. Hooking the light up was the easy part... Seeing the nearly invisible timing marks was a challenge. If the 251 is anything like the 230, the marks don't exactly jump out at you... So... I moved the pulley until I saw some kind of marks, and had my wife take her fancy digital zoom camara, and take a few close ups. I wish I could post them here, but they don't show up as well when I zoom in on them. When I zoomed in on them I could see the 0, 10 and 20 degree marks. Not well though. So my next plan was to put a paint brush on a stick and try to mark them.

Fortunatley, Jared was over and we were working on his NP200, and since he is at a few years younger than I he was able to monkey onto the fender, reach into the engine compartment around all the mess, and put makrs at 1, 10 and 20.

Seemed to work out ok. I still can't see the marks with my bare eyes without the marks...

Wayne

Comment

Wayne,
      Can you post the picture of your marks on the plate?
      Mine are also faint; I ended up using the vacuum gage to check the timing too to get it just right

Comment

Doc:

Here is a small version of the first picture. I had to resize it to less than 125k so I don't beleve you will be able to blow it up much. I will email you the full sized version. This picture is before Jarod reached in and swiped the three marks with the paint pen.

Wayne
        Attached Files

Comment

What I do is reach down in there with a stick of chalk and wipe it all all over the area where the marks are. Then, with your finger, wipe off the chalk leaving only that which is down inside the marks. For a more permenant solution, use a white welders/sheetmetal workers marking stick. They are white and kind of like chalk but made out of animal fat - I think.

Comment

1961 ffpw- 251 cid

Thanks to Wayne and Dave for your kind assistance. The 251 is different from the 230 with respect to presentation on the pulley (just a single small notch) and then the scale on the chain cover. I have tried the chalk, but all that "witnesses" are the vertical scale marks on either side of a "v" depression in the scale (in the center of the scale). I have no idea what numbers to associate with the scale. Dave: how does one use vacuum to set the timing? Thanks.....Keith.

Comment

1961- ffpw- 251 cid

Clint- My apologies for confusing you with Dave in my latest post. Still scratching my head over the witness marks on the scale......Keith.

Comment

Originally posted by Hartman View Post
                Clint- My apologies for confusing you with Dave in my latest post. Still scratching my head over the witness marks on the scale......Keith.
                Well, I have egg on my face, so don't feel bad. I was confusing Wayne's picture with your post. I thought I was looking at your marks. From your description, I am not familiar with the marks/pointer on the 251.

Comment

Working...
                X