Oil Sender fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Sender fitting

Seems my first mechanic replaced my oil pressure line with a brake hose....which he screwed into the block. Since the end of the hose is a female flare, it obviously leaked. It leaked very well, or badly, however you wanna measure it! Lots of oil all over the place....

What's the best available way to adapt this hose fitting to the block. I would like to use a TEE - one for the brake fitting, and one for a pressure sensor.

I also want to install an "idiot" light for low pressure warning. (Of course with my experiences so far with the truck maybe I should just connect the "idiot" warning light to one of the accessory power connections :)

Here's a pic of the fitting I found so far. I'm open for ideas on this. Thanks.

Part#'s
    TEE: Brass, 1/8 in. NPT Thread, 3/16 in. Thread, Female Inverted Flare (Summit # AAF-ALL50137 Allstar (manuf) # ALL50137UPC848238026238)

NAPA# (Gates) G606280302

Will need short 1/8 x 1/8 x 1” ?? tube from block to center of tee fitting

For the sensor: Oil Pressure Sender / Sending Unit, Pressure Switch; N.C. (Normally Closed); 1/8-27 NPT; Threaded; 3240 Pro-Lite; Auto Meter Products; Manuf # 3241-012 18 psi on >18psi off. - NAPA# Balkamp Part Number: BK 7011485

I have an original to the truck dashboard warning lamp that I will use.

oil sender, warning light, pressure sender, adapter tee
    Attached Files
    Last edited by im02crazy; 08-12-2012, 05:34 PM. Reason: added search tags

Why not just replace the brake hose with a piece of copper tubing and the correct fittings? Those should be much easier to find.

Comment

I thought of that, but I like the vibration isolation I get from the rubber line. I'm hoping to keep the setup without going back to the metal lines. I also don't have the original because the 1st mechanic that did the engine reinstall removed them.

Comment

In that case, you should be able to get the fittings you need at a NAPA parts store if you have one near you.

Comment

Copper is pretty soft and does ok in high vibration areas. If it was brittle (like some aluminum and most all stainless) I'd watch out, but I would have no problem using copper.

Wayne

Comment

Here is an old post which may be of help to you:

http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...+gauge+fitting

Comment

Thanks, that link to the post was very helpful and led me to the specific part I was seeking. I also updated that post with the added info.

The whole catalog is here: http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1qo...sources/39.htm

Comment

This fitting is common at any NAPA or CarQuest jobber. It is simply a combination NPT tee/female inverted flare or brake line fitting. The correct stuff here is common as water, just look at the right place. Either metal lines or hose can easily be had. The EDELMAN catalog at CarQuest or the WEATHERHEAD catalog at NAPA has it all. Anything you need is on shelf items in most stores, certainly no more than an overnight item in smaller stores.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
                  This fitting is common at any NAPA or CarQuest jobber. It is simply a combination NPT tee/female inverted flare or brake line fitting. The correct stuff here is common as water, just look at the right place. Either metal lines or hose can easily be had. The EDELMAN catalog at CarQuest or the WEATHERHEAD catalog at NAPA has it all. Anything you need is on shelf items in most stores, certainly no more than an overnight item in smaller stores.
                  Yep, if you have a part number, know what you are looking for and where to look for it, parts are easy to find most of the time. Most people behind the counter today don't even know what a Power Wagon is. Often times, the computers don't even go back to the Power Wagon era. So, don't expect any help from the 20 year old girl behind the Auto Zone parts counter.

Comment

Originally posted by gmharris View Post
                    Yep, if you have a part number, know what you are looking for and where to look for it, parts are easy to find most of the time. Most people behind the counter today don't even know what a Power Wagon is. Often times, the computers don't even go back to the Power Wagon era. So, don't expect any help from the 20 year old girl behind the Auto Zone parts counter.
                    NOTICE, I didn't suggest going to Auto Zone, Advance, O'Reilly, etc. I even told you the catalogs to look in, you will find it there.

Funny story, we have only one NAPA jobber left in our county, an independant. I went in a while back and saw the store owner was wearing an O'Reilly cap. Picking, I said hey Butch what gives with the competitions cap? He said O'Reilly is now my biggest customer, because they can't get half the stuff customers around here need. I've since seen their pick up person in Butch's place several times. Funny seeing an O'Reilly delivery truck backed in at Butch's loading dock.

Comment

C.D.: I guess I thought we were discussing lines for the oil sending unit, not brake lines. Maybe I missed something? I was by no means inferring that anyone should use copper on brake lines, but I don't believe anyone was talking about brake lines.

Wayne

Comment

This thread is for sure discussing oil pressure tubing rather than brake line tubing, check out the question in the first post.

Copper has no place in brake systems, but believe it or not, we do see where copper has been used in brake systems for repair sections all too often on trucks that come in here. This is without a doubt a death wish.

Comment

Working...
                        X