Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1961 1 Ton FFPW- Tappet Wrench Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 1 Ton FFPW- Tappet Wrench Question?

Time to set the valve clearances on the 251 and before I pull the wheel, inner fender and pull the access panels, I need to get the appropriate size tappet wrenches (and heat protecting sleeves). Can anybody please tell me the wrench sizes (are they the same size) to adjust the tappets? Thanks.....Keith.

Craftsmen tools [Sears] sold a set that worked great. Check Sears online.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I believe I have the set Gordon is talking about - a set of four giving you eight different sizes. I can' say I have used them very often. In 32 years I have had to adjust valves only a half dozen times or so, and then I am only using two of the eight sizes. I have used the wrenches sometimes on jam nuts on other pieces of equipment, but being thin and open ended, they are really kind of a weak.

I do not remember what sizes are used on the 230 and do not know if the 251 uses the same sizes or not. In hindsight, doing it over again, I would just take two of the proper sized wrenches from my set and grind them down thinner. Then replace those two with new ones to complete the set again.

Comment

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-4-pc-...p-00947415000P

I find them useful for other things as well. I recently used one while working on hydraulic lines on a zero turn mower in a poorly accessible location where the fittings are located.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

You'll need 1/2" and 7/16" wrenches for a 230 inch engine. I think it's probably the same for a 251 inch engine.

If you are lucky enough to have access to a lift, you can lift the truck so the valve tappets are at chest height.

I already had the fender off. Then, you can stand between the frame and the backing plate. It makes the job easier and you won't need the sleeves.

Make sure you have some good lighting which you can shine on the tappets so that you don't have to work in the shadows.

Comment

1961 1 ton FFPW- Tappet Wrench Question?

Thanks to all for the good information. I appeciate it. I found a video on You Tube actually showing how the adjusment is done and it's not the juggling act I thought it was going to be. I have 12,002 miles on the clock and as it now stands tuned, it runs like a watch. I will adjust the valves (whether they need it or not), just so I can be confident I learned something. I appeciate this forum more than you know!.....Keith.

Comment

Couple of other tips I picked up:

Put a paint mark or tape on the block under each exhaust valve tappet so that you don't have to keep checking to make sure which kind of valve you are working on.

Mark the end of each wrench you are using with a different colored tape or paint so that when you pick them up you have the right ends ready to go without having to look at the size markings. This is helpful since it is your first time and you are likely to be picking up and putting down the wrenches a lot.

Sleeves aren't necessary if you have the truck raised on a lift with the fender and wheel off like I did, but they may help if you have more limited access. Mechanic's gloves are a great help to keep from getting burned and I didn't find they hindered the process.

To get a better feel for the correct adjustment, it is a good idea to use one size smaller and one size larger feeler gauges to check the adjustments after you think you got it right.

Comment

1961 1 ton FFPW- Tappet Wrench Question?

Mr. Harris: Thanks for the additional advice. I will follow it.....Keith.

Comment

Working...
                X