Rear end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear end

I have a '62 WM-300 that when I went to put new seals in the rear end, it was full of water and filings. Will a '53 rear from a flat fender Power Wagon fit? That one also needs some work, as I can hear bearings falling out when I turn it over. What can expect when tearing this apart? The manual I have does explain this well. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

As far as I know the axles never changed, so there should be no problem in swapping the two. And differentials are the same front and rear as well so there's that option too.

As for what to expect I put a bunch of pictures of my rebuilds in my thread here. The bearings for these aren't cheap, so unless you like wasting money making sure you do it right is vital, expecially in the rear since it sees power all the time. Plenty of help here if you do.

Comment

I'm going to be parting out a front axle here soon. I can sell you a complete third member from the front axle if you are interested in that. I am going to be pulling it all apart over the next few weeks so I can tell you the condition its in once I get it all opened up. I believe the thirds are interchangable front to rear correct? Granted this won't help you with the hub bearings, but it will atleast replace the third member section.
      1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

3rd member

thanks, I also have a front axle here that I have not inspected yet. I need to learn how to tear these down properly so I dont do further damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Rose View Post
          thanks, I also have a front axle here that I have not inspected yet. I need to learn how to tear these down properly so I dont do further damage.
          You are better off using your used differential rather than trying to repair one. They last quite a long time if they haven't been abused and they can be obtained for a very reasonable price. You just have to look around.

Front and rear diffs are interchangeable as are diffs between all FFPW's. There were two gear ratios, but most were 5.83's.

No trick to pulling one. Just remove the axles (after taking off the drums, etc.) then the nuts around the circumference of the differential and pull it out. Be careful, they are heavy.

When you reinstall the differential, it has to be almost perfectly lined up before it goes in. It's a little difficult because of the weight.

The pinion shaft seal will undoubtedly need replacing.

Comment

Take off drums??

Hi gm, don't think you need to take off the drums to change out the diff, do we? Just the axles out of the diff? Thanks, Steve K.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve K. CALIF View Post
              Hi gm, don't think you need to take off the drums to change out the diff, do we? Just the axles out of the diff? Thanks, Steve K.
              On a front axle you have to remove the spindle so you can pull the axle shafts & U-joint assembly.
              Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Agreed! Thought the original subject was his rear end problems. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

You are right. No need to pull the drums just to get the rear axles out. But, with water in the differential and a worn bearing (with filings), there's virtually no chance that the drums won't need to be pulled to address a variety of issues and to clean the axle tubes the entire length.

Comment

I did take off drums because Im doing a complete rebuild , brake shoes, wheel cylinders, seals, ect.

Comment

Working...
                    X