pto question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pto question

I have a 64 wm300 with a 252 motor and stock tranny. The pto has a shaft going forward to the winch. My question is can that shaft be reversed to the back to operate a dump body. On the back there is a cover plate with 4 bolts where I believe the shaft would belong. I have a 230 and tranny with pto that has shafts on both sides. but is different than this one. any help would be greatly apreciated. thanks Ron

Originally posted by Ron Rose View Post
    I have a 64 wm300 with a 252 motor and stock tranny. The pto has a shaft going forward to the winch. My question is can that shaft be reversed to the back to operate a dump body. On the back there is a cover plate with 4 bolts where I believe the shaft would belong. I have a 230 and tranny with pto that has shafts on both sides. but is different than this one. any help would be greatly apreciated. thanks Ron
    PTO's with both front and rear takeoffs are pretty common. You need one for the late model transmissions, which, as you have observed are different from the early trans. These PTO's come up fairly often on Ebay and other places. They usually run about $100 dollars or so.

One of my trucks has a PTO with the rear facing takeoff only. I think these takeoffs are less common.

I've heard that you have to remove the trans to install a new PTO, but I don't know as I have never done it myself. Supposedly, the clearance is just too tight to get the PTO in. Also, two of the bolts holding the PTO on may be special "locating" bolts. Don't lose those.

If you do get another PTO, make sure you get information on setting up the backlash on the new PTO.

As for converting the front only take off, I suspect it can be done, however I've never heard of anybody doing it. By the time you get a new shaft, plate, seals and whatever you need, you're probably better off just getting a used PTO.

Comment

I have remove a couple of PTO's & never to to remove trans after you remove the linkage just unbolt the pto you do need to drain the trans or it will be a little messy. I have had both front and rear facing them look the same but not 100% sure if you can just swap them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Rose View Post
        It sounds like you have a miltary PTO. The civilian, dual direction models use a common output shaft that travels through the unit for front and rear use. This allows two drive shafts to be used simultaniously, while running either or both driven units.

I believe, on a single-direction PTO you could decide weather the output faces forward or aft, but not both.

Tim Ellis has been writting on this lately, and has some good pictures as well.

CD
        1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
        1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
        2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
        1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
        1954 Ford 860 tractor
        1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
        UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Working...
        X