Truck Model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Model

I have a '55 C3-PW6-I26 and was determining if the engine needs to be bored. The service manual mentions the following models for out-of-round and tapering. I was wondering what model my PW is closest to.

Max allowable out-of round is 0.005 inch for all models except B-4-R, B-4-T, B-4-V, and B-4-Y and .003 inch for B-4-R, B-4-T, B-4-V, and B-4-Y.

Is my PW the exception to the above statement?

Thanks everybody!

I suspect you are reading those in a full-line Dodge truck service manual and those are larger trucks with different engines. If a machine shop is involved in the evaluation of your block they will know good guidelines to use.

Your .005 figure is fine, as far as that goes, as a wear limit. Having said that, it is cylinder taper that will be the key, determining factor in cylinder wear evaluation. I think you will find the manual's spec on taper is a huge figure in comparison to current thinking.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Thanks Gordon,

Maximum taper is 0.15" for all truck models except B-4-R, B4-T, B-4-V, and B-4-Y and 0.10" for B-4-R, B4-T, B-4-V, and B-4-Y.

I thought both numbers seemed a little high. Two of the cylinders that I am concerned with had broken rings.

Max Eggshaping was at the top at 0.009

Max Tapering was 0.0035

Comment

Originally posted by hoffz31 View Post
        Thanks Gordon,

Maximum taper is 0.15" for all truck models except B-4-R, B4-T, B-4-V, and B-4-Y and 0.10" for B-4-R, B4-T, B-4-V, and B-4-Y.

I thought both numbers seemed a little high. Two of the cylinders that I am concerned with had broken rings.

Max Eggshaping was at the top at 0.009

Max Tapering was 0.0035
        I am thinking you mean .015 taper, correct?

Your out of round figure is the defining value. A taper of .0035 is not that bad.

Comment

Yes Gordon, you are correct. Max taper is 0.015. How bad do you think the out of round is? Would a new set of rings be ok, or would I get blow by. The two cylinders in question, had evidence of blow by on the pistons but each cylinder had a broken ring.

Comment

You say eggshape, I say out of round. The figure of .009 out of round is too much.

Comment

Thanks Gordon, you have been a huge help. It looks like I will be shopping for an engine hoist.

Comment

Working...
              X