GL Diff Oil Tests...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GL Diff Oil Tests...

Here's a link to ASTM tests run by Amsoil on 14 commonly available differential oils (mainly synthetic) in 2007- http://www.oilteksolutions.com/GearLubeWhitepaper.pdf (you may have to Google '' A Study of Automotive Gear Lubes".

If you're running bronze thrust washers in your diff, you'll want to check the D-130 test results for compatability with copper, Lucas and Royal Purple didn't fare too well...

I ran across a thread in BITOG where a gentleman had the bronze thrust washers in his rebuilt Triumph diff entirely disappear as a result of using a GL-5 oil after a few years. The fiber washers used elsewhere were unaffected. He rebuilt it in the mid 90's, I'm trying to get a line on what sort of Sulfur-Phosphorus EP additive that oil used (it was bright green after it dissolved the thrust washers).

"Buffered" Sulphur-Phosphorus additive protects surfaces by forming a black coating that wears off- it doesn't harm steel, but it takes thin layer of brass/bronze with it. Over time, the brass/bronze disappears. GL-5 has about twice the S/P that GL-4 does, so this process is more rapid. The idea with GL-4 was that the gearbox would be at the end of its normal service life before things like synchros became a problem. "Active" S/P additives were used before today's buffered compounds, they tended to form acids as they aged, which were bad news for brass/bronze and steel alike. Old-time gear oils used a lead-based EP additive which didn't harm brass/bronze, but lead EP went out in the 60's.

Temperature has an effect, the higher the diff oil temps, the more pronounced the effects are. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any correlation info yet that would allow you directly relate wear to temperature.

Given the cost of winch gears, I'd suggest you NOT pour GL-5 in there...

Kind of disappointed in how Royal Purple did, though I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that Amsoil won their own test paper. Have to wonder how the companies that didn't fare well would respond.

Comment

The good thing about this paper is that it ran the full battery of ASTM tests that cover Diff conditions, and these tests are not cheap to run. It's not easy to find this info about a number of oils, the manufacturers don't publish it on their sites, and you have to do a LOT of digging.

Fortunately, it's not hard to find Amsoil's identity, sometimes that's hard to do with testing of this nature.'

They do make a good point of having a balanced formulation that covers a number of wear conditions, rather than excelling at one or two, and letting the rest slide.

It would be interesting to see Royal Purple's/Lucas' response- especially if it were backed up by ASTM testing....

Comment

There's some interesting info in this thread about where the small specialty oil producers like Amsoil, Red Line, etc get their base stock, as they don't have refinery capability- http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...owtopic=102347 . Start with post #3 by Snakedoctor...

Comment

Working...
        X