NV 4500 lubricant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NV 4500 lubricant

I was going to file this info under the GL-5 thread, but those involved with 4500 conversions would likely miss it. If you're thinking about a 4500 conversion using a high-torque engine, you should print out post # 7 of this thread- it's quite long- and read it carefully. Otherwise, your 4500 experience could be a very expensive one.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...ed-nv4500.html Start at post #7 by jaffer, and read post #8 by charly which recounts his "temporary" mineral oil fill.

I talked with a transmission shop owner awhile back, and he informed me that "filled for life" is a popular trend with modern automatic transmissions- not only is there no place to add fluid, there's no dipstick to check the level!

Originally posted by maineSS View Post
    I was going to file this info under the GL-5 thread, but those involved with 4500 conversions would likely miss it. If you're thinking about a 4500 conversion using a high-torque engine, you should print out post # 7 of this thread- it's quite long- and read it carefully. Otherwise, your 4500 experience could be a very expensive one.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...ed-nv4500.html Start at post #7 by jaffer, and read post #8 by charly which recounts his "temporary" mineral oil fill.

I talked with a transmission shop owner awhile back, and he informed me that "filled for life" is a popular trend with modern automatic transmissions- not only is there no place to add fluid, there's no dipstick to check the level!
    That is terrible.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

The 5-speed in my Magnum is that way. They only recommend fluid changes if towing or taxi duty.
      There is a dipstick tube but it is capped off for dealer use only. To check the tranny level you have to have a special dipstick which is graduated. The dealer has to read the transmission temperature and then use that to determine the correct level on the dipstick.

I will say that the Chrysler ATF +4 is designed for that kind of extended service interval.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/fluids.html

Comment

i had a 5speed in my 95 2500 diesel and would only run the syntorque too many horror stories if ya decide to go the cheap route

Comment

My Chrysler 300C with the 5 speed auto developed a leak from the tranny onto the garage floor. IT is another modern tranny with no way to easily check the fluid level as descibed above.
          My mechanic had a friend who is a tranny technician, and he knew how much fluid it would need after the seal was fixed that was leaking.
          He described how to jerry rig a piece of hanger wire to a certain length and use that as a makeshift dipstick, rather than pay big bucks for the mopar one.
          So, tranny guys, through their network of fellow techs, know how to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
            My Chrysler 300C with the 5 speed auto developed a leak from the tranny onto the garage floor. IT is another modern tranny with no way to easily check the fluid level as descibed above.
            My mechanic had a friend who is a tranny technician, and he knew how much fluid it would need after the seal was fixed that was leaking.
            He described how to jerry rig a piece of hanger wire to a certain length and use that as a makeshift dipstick, rather than pay big bucks for the mopar one.
            So, tranny guys, through their network of fellow techs, know how to do this.
            We're way off topic on this one but to finish the thought. The "MOPAR special part number xxxx" dipstick is made by one of the big tool companies. If you do a search you'll find that they sell it separately for less money. Then just check the level at normal temp and make that your reference mark. Otherwise you need the table and a scan tool that can tell you transmission temp.

My Magnum also had the leaking plug. Luckily I caught it while it was still under warranty. There was a TSB on it for some early vehicles.

To bring it back on target I'm going to have to build a dipstick for my NV4500 since the lever bracket will block the fill location. Paul of Moose Creek Maple fame has a how-too on his image event site. Just one more task on a very long checklist.

Comment

Working...
            X