Pulling motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling motor

New to these power wagons. I've got a 54 flat fender with a tired motor. Got another 230 from a friend, this one has good compression and said doesn't have many miles on it. Started pulling fenders and radiator off tonight. Wondering if it would be easier to pull just the motor and leave tranny and bellhousing or pull the motor and tranny together. Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Skinny kid

Originally posted by Skinny kid View Post
    New to these power wagons. I've got a 54 flat fender with a tired motor. Got another 230 from a friend, this one has good compression and said doesn't have many miles on it. Started pulling fenders and radiator off tonight. Wondering if it would be easier to pull just the motor and leave tranny and bellhousing or pull the motor and tranny together. Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Skinny kid
    Either pull the engine and trans as a unit or remove the trans and then the engine with the bell housing, probably the latter. I don't think leaving the bell housing and trans in place is a viable option. You'll see once you get started.

Where are you located? Someone was looking for a rebuildable engine.

Comment

Turns out the spare motor is a 52 Plymouth 218. Has different flywheel and crank hub but has same bolt pattern but only 4 mounting bolt. The flywheel off set is different. Looks like I will be keeping the original 230 for a rebuild some day. Hopefully can get the 218 to work for awhile.

Comment

We have a 230 out of a '56 model that will be for sale soon. We plan to check it out for overall condition over the coming days.

Comment

So far it looks like the 218 will work. Not done installing yet. Real similar to the 230 but different stroke I guess. Has to be better than a 230 with no compression!!! Thanks Charles for the motor option. Not sure what i'll do. Rebuild the original 230 looks pretty good inside without taking measurements. Think the valves r the biggest problem. Might go with a 318 360. Not sure what I want yet other than pushing a little snow this winter!

Comment

Working...
          X