Restoration Underway, Couple of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration Underway, Couple of questions

Under way on my 1949 PW, almost down to frame, cab off, all running gear out, engine, trans & transfer, winch, front end. Have a couple of questions (well have many but will start with two:

1, After removing water pump, noticed the left hole in block has what looks to be a sleeve in it that is bent, not tight to hole in block, see pic below. Whats up with this, is it OK or does it need to be repaired?

2. Will be starting with frame and axles repairs and re-painting. Any suggestions for a good paint for this. Looking for gloss black, hard, primer?. Brushed or sprayed, would prefer brushed.

Thanks, and will keep all updated as I move along.
    Attached Files

That is the water distribution tube, and it should be removed — ideally before cleaning the block — and replaced after cleaning the block.

Others will be along shortly to comment on your paint question.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Is it suppose to be tight and sealed to the block or just installed as is? Does water going around it OK?

Comment

Getting the water distribution tube out can sometimes be a trick. I just try to grab it with a needle nose pair of Vicegrips. It definitely has to come out to check condition and clean the block. You might as well plan on replacing all the freeze plugs at the same time.

Try not to tear up the water distribution tube, they run around $70.00 and can be re-used if not badly corroded. They are often blocked at the far end. It won't be a 100 per cent water tight seal. Just shape it to the opening the best you can. Yours looks a little loose. It may not be an original.

As for the frame paint. The cheapest good way to go is Rust Oleum flat or gloss. Make sure you use the Professional grade.

Comment

Working...
        X