Attachments and options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attachments and options

In the top left picture, does anyone know what the shaft/tube looking item is that runs by the driver's door? It can also be seen in the middle left picture also. I have a '50 PW with the brackets for an A frame and it also has a stand off cradle on the fender like the one it the ad plus another on the capstan framework and mounting holes in the running board like there used to be one there too.
    Attached Files
    1949 B-1 PW
    1950 B-2 PW
    1965 WM300
    1968 D200 camper special (W200 conversion)
    1970 Challenger RT 383
    1987 Ramcharger 4x4
    1991.5 W250 diesel
    1999 Jeep Cherokee limited 4x4
    2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

If I had to guess,I'd say it is a flexible drive shaft for the auger, perhaps driven from the rear PTO.

CD
    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
    1954 Ford 860 tractor
    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

hydrolic hose

it is the hose used to run from the hydrolic pump to the auger head. see the size of the hose, its a sure bet that there is a large pump sitting in the bed that probably is also pto driven.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheyenne Dave View Post
        If I had to guess,I'd say it is a flexible drive shaft for the auger, perhaps driven from the rear PTO.

CD
        You have to watch Shy Dave. He knows his stuff. And, as usual, he nailed it again. As he mentioned, it is a flexible drive shaft. Actually, kind of like a speedometer cable on steroids - with a flexible inner cable and a somewhat less flexible outer protective sheath. During the time that photo was taken, flexible drives were gaining popularity on a lot of industrial and farm equipment. There was even a chainsaw produced that was powered by a PTO driven flexible drive cable.

That gearbox that the auger attaches to most likely contains a large worm gear. These flexible cables were soon abandoned in favor of telescopic splined PTO shafts. Much later, the hard shafts were replaced with hydraulics.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
          That gearbox that the auger attaches to most likely contains a large worm gear. These flexible cables were soon abandoned in favor of telescopic splined PTO shafts. Much later, the hard shafts were replaced with hydraulics.
          Would a flexible shaft like that have been driven from a tel-e-lect box? There is one under my truck. It also appears that there may have been a pto shaft coming through the front bumper.
          1949 B-1 PW
          1950 B-2 PW
          1965 WM300
          1970 Challenger RT 383
          1987 Ramcharger 4x4
          1991.5 W250 diesel

Comment

You have to watch Shy Dave. He knows his stuff. And, as usual, he nailed it again. As he mentioned, it is a flexible drive shaft. Actually, kind of like a speedometer cable on steroids - with a flexible inner cable and a somewhat less flexible outer protective sheath. During the time that photo was taken, flexible drives were gaining popularity on a lot of industrial and farm equipment. There was even a chainsaw produced that was powered by a PTO driven flexible drive cable.

Flex -drive for a chain saw you say...hmmm. Seems like I saw something like that in Iowa...yeah...on the back YOUR truck! Fancy that...
            1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
            1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
            1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Originally posted by Steve G View Post
              Would a flexible shaft like that have been driven from a tel-e-lect box? There is one under my truck. It also appears that there may have been a pto shaft coming through the front bumper.
              All of the Tel-E-Lect units I am familiar with used the telescopic hard PTO shaft - either through the front bumper or above it. It was only in the very early pieces of literature that you see the flexible shaft. That leads me to believe that probably the only trucks you will find that on are the '46 or maybe the '47 models. Don't know if Tel-E-Lect ever used the flexible shaft. I have not seen that method of drive in any of their literature.

Originally posted by Cheyenne Dave View Post
              Flex -drive for a chain saw you say...hmmm. Seems like I saw something like that in Iowa...yeah...on the back YOUR truck! Fancy that...
              I wish! If you have a lead on one, I am interested. Last one I saw for sale was in England. Mine is a Hydro-Flex hydraulic tractor saw.

Comment

Clint's saw was in one of the early Edgar Allen Poe movies.
                Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Here is a scanned corner from a much larger trade journal ad for the Stow Manufacturing Co., Binghamton, N.Y. They were one of the companies who made flexible shafting. In their ad, they mention sizes 1/8" to 1-5/8". From the layout of the gearbox, and the angled brace to keep it from twisting, I would say the one shown in this image provided by AT&T is very similar to that shown in the early Power Wagon literature.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the info Clint. With the cradles on my truck the same as in the ad, I am inclined to believe that at one point there was a flexible shaft system on my truck. Unless someone installed those to hold thier shovel.
                    1949 B-1 PW
                    1950 B-2 PW
                    1965 WM300
                    1970 Challenger RT 383
                    1987 Ramcharger 4x4
                    1991.5 W250 diesel

Comment

Thanks for the info Clint. With the cradles on my truck the same as in the ad, I am inclined to believe that at one point there was a flexible shaft system on my truck. Unless someone installed those to hold thier shovel.
                      I see what you mean. As many times as I have looked at your photograph, I never noticed the cradles until now. I think you are onto something.

Comment

It's also interesting that the front cradle is welded to the C channel capstan support. So when the front was modified for the capstan, the flex shaft would have been still in use otherwise why put it on there. I found some other pictures that show the cradles better and the holes in the running board where I believe another one was located.
                        Attached Files
                        1949 B-1 PW
                        1950 B-2 PW
                        1965 WM300
                        1970 Challenger RT 383
                        1987 Ramcharger 4x4
                        1991.5 W250 diesel

Comment

Interesting indeed.

It's also interesting that the front cradle is welded to the C channel capstan support. So when the front was modified for the capstan, the flex shaft would have been still in use otherwise why put it on there. I found some other pictures that show the cradles better and the holes in the running board where I believe another one was located.
                          Does the bolt pattern of the short cradle on the fender match the bolt pattern of the "taller cradle" that mounted to the running board? Also, do you have photos of the utility box? It appears that the utility box in the sales literature you showed in your first post consisted of tool boxes that attached to the pickup box, or maybe a unitized assembly that dropped/slid into the pickup box. I saw one of these units 30 years ago. It had protected the pickup box though the rest of the truck was trashed. Unfortunately, I did not get any photos at the time.

Comment

All of the Tel-E-Lect units I am familiar with used the telescopic hard PTO shaft - either through the front bumper or above it. It was only in the very early pieces of literature that you see the flexible shaft. That leads me to believe that probably the only trucks you will find that on are the '46 or maybe the '47 models. Don't know if Tel-E-Lect ever used the flexible shaft. I have not seen that method of drive in any of their literature.

I wish! If you have a lead on one, I am interested. Last one I saw for sale was in England. Mine is a Hydro-Flex hydraulic tractor saw.
                            Ahhhh, hydraulic! I get confused at times...still, a very impressive piece of cutlery!

CD
                            1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                            1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                            1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Does the bolt pattern of the short cradle on the fender match the bolt pattern of the "taller cradle" that mounted to the running board? Also, do you have photos of the utility box? It appears that the utility box in the sales literature you showed in your first post consisted of tool boxes that attached to the pickup box, or maybe a unitized assembly that dropped/slid into the pickup box. I saw one of these units 30 years ago. It had protected the pickup box though the rest of the truck was trashed. Unfortunately, I did not get any photos at the time.
                              No, the bolt pattern on the fender is 2.5" square and the running board is 3.25 x 4". But with a taller cradle maybe a wider base was used. Can't really see any reason to mount something else there with only 2-3" clearance for opening the door. The Utility box looks like it's own box with no use of a factory bed with the exception of rear fender. Inside the sides of the box are vertical angle irons that have been cut off at an angle and may have been support for a covered bed or a type of rack.
                              Attached Files
                              1949 B-1 PW
                              1950 B-2 PW
                              1965 WM300
                              1970 Challenger RT 383
                              1987 Ramcharger 4x4
                              1991.5 W250 diesel

Comment

Working...
                              X