Brake Booster & spring U-Bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Booster & spring U-Bolts

You guys have been very helpful on other issues/questions so I hope that someone can help me out with a couple of new ones;

1st, My brake booster on my 49 B-1-PW-126 did not look anything like the ones in the Vintage Powe rwagon catalog. When I was ordering my new brake line kit, I asked them about this and they said it may be off a different truck. They told me that the booster was an extra on many Power Wagons and that I could just bypass it and not use a booster (the one I have does not work). My question is has anyone driven an older Type D truck both with and without the booster and is there a noticeable difference in braking?

My second question is on the leaf spring U-bolts. I broke one of the rear ones taking the spring off axle so said *** why not just cut off the other three. After talking to Vintage Power Wagon they said that the U-bolts are one of the few parts that they do not carry and can not find. Has anyone found a source for these or should I just have some made without the flat top? If I have them made, I will also get some new top plates made to support the round top of bolt.

Thanks

spring bolts

I don't know about the brake booster, imagine the truck would stop better with one though. most spring shops will make u bolts for you at a reasonable cost.

Comment

Brake booster

I have totally replaced my entire brake system and it works as well as the day it was driven off the lot. Last spring at the Iowa rally, I had an opportunity to drive Doc Dave's truck which had a brake booster installed. Darn near threw both of us through the windshield first time I tried to stop his truck!

Based on that experience, I bought a Midland booster and just received it back from Power Brake X-change. Can't wait to get it installed! As far as plumbing goes, the factory master cylinder output goes to the booster and then out to the brakes. If you don't want to use it, you can take that leg out of the equation.
      Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
      2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

There are places in the country that can rebuild the early boosters of various designs. You might do some web searches and see who could be near you.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Spring U-Bolt source...

Matt is correct about a spring shop, but, all "spring shops" are not the same. Look for a shop that does heavy truck tractor / trailer repair. I needed a set of U-bolts for a swap I did and they bent them in a hydraulic press to the exact spec I needed. <$50, bolts, nuts and washers, 20 minutes to take care of business and 30 minutes to BS. Well worth the time to find that shop. They also make springs, rearch and other chassis work.

DrPepper

Comment

Spring U-Bolts

It's been around 2 years now, but I ordered a set of flat top spring u-bolts for the rear of my truck from Michigan Truck Spring of Saginaw. www.truckspring.com 1-800-358-4751

Bolt diameter - 9/16"
            Width - 1 3/4"
            Length - 10"
            Max torque - 100f/lbs dry

Order total (2 yrs ago), was $23.90 (shipping was $12.00 of that), bolts, hardened washers & nuts. One axle. So inexpensive, it's a no-brainer.

Flat top. Fit perfect.

I also have a Midland brake booster on my '61 WM300, but I've never run it with the booster bypassed, so I can't comment on the difference.

Ken Weza
            San Jose, CA

Comment

Thanks all for the info for both the brake booster and U-bolts, your comments were very helpful.

Comment

It's why we're here!
                Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by 53Crusher View Post
                  I have totally replaced my entire brake system and it works as well as the day it was driven off the lot. Last spring at the Iowa rally, I had an opportunity to drive Doc Dave's truck which had a brake booster installed. Darn near threw both of us through the windshield first time I tried to stop his truck!

Based on that experience, I bought a Midland booster and just received it back from Power Brake X-change. Can't wait to get it installed! As far as plumbing goes, the factory master cylinder output goes to the booster and then out to the brakes. If you don't want to use it, you can take that leg out of the equation.
                  If you are not sure, try driving a PW with a booster vs. one without, and you will want one! It makes a BIG difference, especially to us now who are used to power disc brakes on our modern cars.
                  I am old enough to remember drum brakes on passenger cars and without power assist they are marginal, IMHO, if you need a panic stop.
                  Yes, Tim became a believer after driving my truck!

Comment

Finished removing the last items on frame, the springs, and now see that I need to get new front ones. The back springs are in great shape but front ones are flat with a couple of broken leafs.

Any one know of a good spring shop that will make them or a place where I may be able to buy. The truck is a 49 B-1-PW-126 with front PTO winch (from what I have read it appears that the springs were thicker when a PTO winch was installed).

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
                      If you are not sure, try driving a PW with a booster vs. one without, and you will want one! It makes a BIG difference, especially to us now who are used to power disc brakes on our modern cars.
                      I am old enough to remember drum brakes on passenger cars and without power assist they are marginal, IMHO, if you need a panic stop.
                      Yes, Tim became a believer after driving my truck!
                      Hi Dave. Reading this inspires me to look into adding a brake booster to my WDX. Is your brake system original, or did you convert to hanging pedals? Do you have any pictures of the installation in your truck that you could share with me? Thanks. Jerry Henry
                      pscdr1@yahoo.com

Comment

Hi Jerry,
                        I will send some pics later to you.
                        My brake system is original except for the vacuum booster, which is the older style (Midland) that you see for sale. I had it rebuilt by Power Brake Exchange in Pittsburg. I have it mounted on the left frame rail back by the fuel tank. The breather for it is under the seat. The 'stock" location is just behind the cab on the inside driver frame rail. Mine is farther back because I have the Dennan overdrive cross members just behind the cab.

Comment

power brakes

I've been thinking about the idea of power brakes or doing rear discs in my m37, I converted the front a few years ago, looking at helitool's instructions they mention a 75 mustang mastercylinder in an m37. I asked a few friends and it seems the power brake setup in a mustang uses a fairly small diameter brake booster that might fit under an m37. anyone tried this? also my neighbor has a 57 dodge 2wd 1 ton with a 9 foot bed, he disconected his power booster, said unless the truck is loaded the brakes were too good, locked up the tires a lot.

Comment

Does anyone recognize this brake booster, sounds like it may be worth rebuilding based on the responses I have received.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kenw View Post
                              It's been around 2 years now, but I ordered a set of flat top spring u-bolts for the rear of my truck from Michigan Truck Spring of Saginaw. www.truckspring.com 1-800-358-4751

Bolt diameter - 9/16"
                              Width - 1 3/4"
                              Length - 10"
                              Max torque - 100f/lbs dry

Order total (2 yrs ago), was $23.90 (shipping was $12.00 of that), bolts, hardened washers & nuts. One axle. So inexpensive, it's a no-brainer.

Flat top. Fit perfect.

I also have a Midland brake booster on my '61 WM300, but I've never run it with the booster bypassed, so I can't comment on the difference.

Ken Weza
                              San Jose, CA
                              The Springs measure 1-13/16" in width, did you have a problem with the 1-3/4" width springs you ordered?

Comment

Working...
                              X