Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need input.. What causes this

Here's the situation:

Truck has been sitting outside for 3 days in 20 degree temps in Missouri. Went out to start it and pull it into the garage. Truck started without a problem and not even a long crank time. Truck rough idled and pushed choke in to normal idle. Got out and went into the garage for just about 2-3 min and opened the garage door. I heard the motor making a sucking like sound and noticed a pool of oil on the ground. I turned the motor off immediately.

The oil leaked from the filter resivoir through the top. The oil in the resivoir is a thick graphite color and i would almost call it quagulated, but it is not chunky, or anything like that, just a thick almost slurry. The oil that leaked out onto the ground was your typical cold engine oil. I am going to push it into the heated garage tonight, let it warm up, and drain the oil pan to see what its oil consistency is.

Engine ran well before this happened. I just purchased this truck in July, have not changed the oil in it or anything as I havent driven it anywhere, its only been pulled in and out of the garage.

So, I would like to hear everyone's thoughts and opnion on the matter, do I have a blown engine what are your thoughts. I look forward to your input, no matter the kind of news it is. If I know what I am facing, I know where to start. Thanks again.

Interesting.

There inlet and outlet lines on that filter. The outlet line drains it back to the pan. Sitting here I can't tell you which is which.

I would like to disconnect both ends of the outlet line and make sure the line is clear and both connection points are clear.

Also, let's get it warm, then change the oil. This could have been some fluke that will never repeat. Let's get that old, nasty stuff out of it.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
      Interesting.

Also, let's get it warm, then change the oil. This could have been some fluke that will never repeat. Let's get that old, nasty stuff out of it.
      I second that thought. And while you are at it, I suspect it would be a good thing to drop the oil pan, clean that out, and install a new gasket. It sounds like a lot of work, but the oil pan drops right off. I was pleasantly surprised that mine had very little sludge in it. I'm sure they did not run mobile one in it...

Wayne

Comment

Gordon and Wayne,

Thanks for the input so far. I was thinking of a pan drop myself, that way I could also identify anything further that might need my attention. I'm not afraid to dig into something. The way I figure it, better to spend a lot of time and a little money now VS alot of both later.

So from you guys thoughts I hear a possible plugged return oil line.

As far as cleaning the oil pan, any thoughts on what I should use to remove/ clean the surface of the pan? What type of solvants or "degreaser" would work well, besides of course the paper towel and elbow grease. :)

Comment

When I took the pan off of mine I had a 1/2" of grey grease like stuff in the bottom. Cleaned out filter housing too. Not sure what it was! Maybe it was some sort of engine rebuild in a can from the day!!

Comment

oil

could you have had condensation in the oil? a friend of mine left his snowblower outside water got in the crankcase and froze, thing ran but didn't sound good. brakeclean, carb cleaner, gas or laquer thinner will do a great job on the inside of your oilpan.

Comment

Matthew,

I suppose that is a definite possibility, however, I do not know what frozen oil looks like. ?. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by bmhenry View Post
                Matthew,

I suppose that is a definite possibility, however, I do not know what frozen oil looks like. ?. LOL.
                Well, if it has water mixed in it will be on the muddy white color chart, not coal black... I learned a lot about the oil filters too... I think the correct one is Baldwin JC-405. NAPA and the others I tried did not fit...

Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by bmhenry View Post
                  Here's the situation:

Truck has been sitting outside for 3 days in 20 degree temps in Missouri. Went out to start it and pull it into the garage. Truck started without a problem and not even a long crank time. Truck rough idled and pushed choke in to normal idle. Got out and went into the garage for just about 2-3 min and opened the garage door. I heard the motor making a sucking like sound and noticed a pool of oil on the ground. I turned the motor off immediately.

The oil leaked from the filter resivoir through the top. The oil in the resivoir is a thick graphite color and i would almost call it quagulated, but it is not chunky, or anything like that, just a thick almost slurry. The oil that leaked out onto the ground was your typical cold engine oil. I am going to push it into the heated garage tonight, let it warm up, and drain the oil pan to see what its oil consistency is.

Engine ran well before this happened. I just purchased this truck in July, have not changed the oil in it or anything as I havent driven it anywhere, its only been pulled in and out of the garage.

So, I would like to hear everyone's thoughts and opnion on the matter, do I have a blown engine what are your thoughts. I look forward to your input, no matter the kind of news it is. If I know what I am facing, I know where to start. Thanks again.
                  I know this sounds crazy, but did you have a snow storm before you brought the truck in? Maybe a storm with fine, wind driven snow? I wonder if your air cleaner got packed with snow. Warming the engine might melt the snow, thereby raising the oil level. It's a stretch, but Clint told me to fill in for him for awhile. So if I'm wrong, blame Clint!
                  1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                  1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                  2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                  1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                  1954 Ford 860 tractor
                  1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                  UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

While you are into the oil pan I would check the pressure relief spring in the oil pump. If it stuck for some reason it may have caused your problem, or at least been a part of the whole problem.

Comment

Cheyenne Dave,
                      Funny you should mention that, we did have snow as a matter of fact, not a "storm" per say, but about 2 inches, and yes the truck was outside, but I wouldnt that that would pack the airfilter area.. Plus the temp has not got out of the 20's to melt any of it.. Its a possibility, thats for sure.. Pulling the oil pan tonight.. more to follow.

Greg, thanks for the tip on the oil pump.. will be sure to do that as well.

Wayne, this oil is not a "muddy" color or anything like that.. Its a graphite color??.. I will take a picture tonight and post tomorrow. Its got me puzzled, never seen oil like this before.. eeeekk..

Comment

My guess: Your engine has a lot of moisture in it and the oil is contaminated.

The sucking sound and the engine dying are probably unrelated. You may still have this problem after you drop the oil pan and put in clean oil.

Comment

Originally posted by greg rider View Post
                          While you are into the oil pan I would check the pressure relief spring in the oil pump. If it stuck for some reason it may have caused your problem, or at least been a part of the whole problem.
                          Just a note...the preasure relief valve assembly is in the block (drivers side) not the oil pump itself. There is no need to drop the pan to check this particular feature, but it sounds like it would be worthwhile effort for cleaning and inspection purposes.

CD
                          1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                          1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                          2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                          1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                          1954 Ford 860 tractor
                          1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                          UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Thanks for the info on the spring Dave. I wasn't sure where it is on the flathead.

Comment

New truck

Anytime I buy a new vechicle I change the oil first thing, you can only guess on how the other guy took care of it and when the last time the oil was changed it could have been years.

Comment

Working...
                              X