Roberts Speedo cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roberts Speedo cable

Has anyone bought the speedo cable from Roberts Motor Parts? Is it the correct size? Any feedback pro or con?

Thanks
    Nick

Speedo Cable

Nick-

I haven't bought that particular part from Roberts, however all of the other items I've purchased have been very good quality in my opinion.

My speedo was bouncing quite a bit and I had also changed my gearing to 4:89 so it needed to be adapted for the change. Sent in my speedo for re-build and my existing cable so that I could get a new one with adapter for the gearing change. These guys did a great job and the cable was heavy duty metal. You might want to consider them... I'm sure there are others, but this is who I ran across. They have been doing this for a LONG time :-)

http://www.deluxespeedometer.com/
    Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
    2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Thanks Tim. Idealy thats what I wanted to do was have this cable repaired. I took a real close look today at the are that is leaking from the transfer case, and it indeed is coming from the speedo cable. The outside sheath is cracked and its causing the leak, so getting this one repaired was my thought, although it depends on the cost. If a new one is only 35 bucks.... Do you recall what their price was for working on your cable?

Thanks
      Nick

Comment

cable price

Nick - can't locate my invoice from them but doubt it will be less than the $35 you are looking at. From my recollection, I think I paid about $300 for complete speedo rebuild, cable adapter and brand new cable.
        Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
        2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Ok thanks. Ill get the Roberts cable, and Ill keep them in mind if I need more work done after that.

Thanks
          Nick

Comment

Speed-o-rebuild

Hey Tim, That's some good information. Will that company do a complete rebuild-re-doing the dial, the face plate, re-set to 0, etc.

May have a project for them.

Bill G.

Comment

speed-o-rebuild

Hey there Bill!
              I think they only do the mechanical rebuild, but you might visit with them. Mine was in good shape as far as looks so I didn't ever pursue that angle. "Skippy" will appreciate you taking such good care of his parts :-)
              Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
              2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Garland View Post
                Hey Tim, That's some good information. Will that company do a complete rebuild-re-doing the dial, the face plate, re-set to 0, etc.

May have a project for them.

Bill G.
                I noticed you were not showing your proper subscriber status, so I got your code entered for you and you are all set with full forum benefits!
                Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Well I ordered the cable, and some other parts. Received it all yesterday.

The cable isnt the right one, its only 70", for a FFPW it needs to be almost three feet longer. So I guess I call them back Monday and see about returning it.

Back to the hunt for a correct one

Comment

I also used Deluxe Speedometer in Denver to make a conversion when I changed the gearing to 4:83's. It cost $131. I thought the price was high but all but $10 was parts. He only charged $10 to calculate the change needed, cut the cable, put the ends to couple to the adaptor and install the adaptor. They welcome mail in business.

Rich in Colorado

Comment

Today I pulled the cable from the truck and cleaned the inside of the sheath and
                      the wire inside. I wiped it down with brake clean, the inside wire had alot of rough spots on it, hard caked on grease it seemed like. Greased it really good and slid it back in. Seems to turn alot easier. Made a rubber gasket for the collar that screws on the transfer case, as thats where it seems to be leaking. Re installed in in the truck, but then noticed I was almost about to run out of gas! This was after I messed with the fuel sending unit as the gauge always showed full, and I knew it wasnt full. Pulled the sender and was just about out of gas. Went and got 5 gallons, dumped it in, and now tha gauge shows 1/2 tank. Tomorrow Ill take it for a drive and see if the gasket stops the leaking of oil from the transfer case.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Nick

Comment

Well I ended up getting called to work for a fire, so I only got to drive it to the gas station and back, but it APPEARS to not be leaking anymore. I want to take it for a longer drive today and see if anything happens. That makeshift gasket may be the ticket. But it still seems like the speedo isnt showing real speed and still kinda bouncing.

Gonna do an oil change today and see how it goes after that.

Comment

I also had Deluxe Speedomoter rebuild the internals of my '48 Power wagon speedometer. Very capable people, and been around so long that they had the parts on their shelves. Good luck with yours!

Comment

Well I took er for a drive around town today after I did and oil change, which was an experience in itself.

Drained the oil, took out the filter. The new Napa filter BARELY fit in, took an hour and a half to get it in to where it should be. But finally crammed it in. Changed the oil in the air filter.

Decided to take it out.

Drove around for about and hour and a half, put about 20 miles on it. Came back home and backed in the driveway.

Oil all over the back end again! So the speedometer cable is still leaking. Think I may send it in for repairs.

But now the rear pumpkin is leaking at the pinyon seal!

The question I have, is since it was once said the oil in the transfer case shouldnt be up near the speedo cable, how much does 80/90 gear oil expand?? I checked the levels and they are both where they should be, not high. would it expand enough to make they leak? Or is this just typical PW.....

On a good note, the battery cut off switch works great, and I got tons of thumbs ups and smiles and lots of people pointing as I drove down the main drag and to downtown, on a saturday nite, lots of people

Comment

Working...
                            X