Wiper Woes & Wows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiper Woes & Wows

My '66 WM300 is fitted with American Bosch electric wiper motors.

During the rewire I wired them to a dash-mounted toggle switch. We had an odd-ball switch in stock that is Center OFF, ON left and Momentary ON Right position. (see image below).

It's easier to reach, and allows a momentary operation to de-mist the windscreen.

Also, to allow me to somewhat synch them up and prevent myself or another from being tempted to move them by hand, I installed a push button switch (Normally ON / momentary OFF) switch in the overhead that interrupts the Passenger Side only when depressed.

While this is not a big deal to move a vacuum wiper by hand - and they can be controlled independently- it's instant death to move an electric direct drive wiper by hand.

When I tested the wipers the Driver Side worked well and silently, while the Passenger Side was lagging and noisy.

I found a NOS wiper in a box recently, and am planning to remove and refurb the Passenger Side unit. I will post the step-by-step process soon.

Until then, please check out this great example of new old stock on the web site

http://www.flyingtigertransport.com/...oschwiper.html

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by im02crazy; 01-25-2013, 06:27 PM. Reason: added image

motors

how well do those wiper motors work? I acquired 3 of them recently and plan to use them on a wwII ford, I'm hoping they work a lot better than vacuum but still look the same age as the truck. I just want to make sure they're a good unit before I put a lot of work into fixing them up or having them rebuilt.

Comment

Adequate, yes, but only for rain.

If you have the same American Bosch unit (period vintage) they are quite fine for a drizzle to moderate rain. Downpour- pull-over. Snow or ice: clear the windscreen first - no way these will run from iced-up condition without damage to gears. If you can get the defroster cooking, they will move light snow - blizzard conditions- pull-over. Better than vacuum, yes, with one exception; you can manually operate the vacuum motors. I have seen a few alternatives to these direct-drive gear motors, but they all have pros and cons. The cable-drive system looks cool, but I'm not sure if it's any more reliable or powerful. There are a number of manufacturers on the market that make a more durable direct-drive solution. These are either Marine or Bus applications and are over $250, bu they are out there. Check back on the www.flyingtigertransport.com site for the rebuild we are doing on the old motor. We will start that in a few weeks and it will include step-by-step directions if you want to try the re-hab yourself. We will also include parts suppliers and the alternatives to the original equipment. Check these out from IMTRA: http://www.imtra.com/collateral/docu...r_brochure.pdf Dave

Comment

thanks

Thanks, this is an open cab truck with a jeep style windshield so they have to look like they belong,it's a warm weather truck, so snow shouldn't be a problem, I remember the vacuum models in my m37 only worked well going downhill.

Comment

Working...
        X