Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Winch Cable Guide...

Does anybody recognize this?

I've been trying to find replacement cable guides for my MU-2 winch, which according to all the parts lists I have found should be MU2-284(R or L). This one is an MU2-184R which would mount on the passenger side of the winch. In general it fits and would work, but it isn't cast like the 284's. Is it for a different application than a Power Wagon? Is somebody looking for one in great shape? It's been powder coated and is in great shape, but I would rather use the 284's. Free + shipping to anybody who can tell me what it should go on :-)
    Attached Files
    Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
    2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Just a wild guess here. I know the W500 models used the MU2 but had a frame and front bumper that was quite a bit different from the WDX-WM300 versions. I have to assume the cable guides were different also.

Comment

guides

Thanks Clint! Maybe I should post a copy in that area of the forum to see if anybody is missing one :-) I can't find any literature that references this part number. More of a curiosity for me at this point.
      Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
      2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by 53Crusher View Post
        Thanks Clint! Maybe I should post a copy in that area of the forum to see if anybody is missing one :-) I can't find any literature that references this part number. More of a curiosity for me at this point.
        Tim, you mention that it fits and would work, but it is cast differently. How does the casting differ?

Comment

As far as I know this was the factory MU winch/bumper/fairlead on a W500. There was much dispute on this on Joe's forum, but I am convinced this is the only one the factory supplied.

Comment

MU2-184R vs MU2-284R

Good idea Clint!
            I am attaching a side by side comparison. Both parts are dimensionally similar especially where they bolt to the bumper. Sand blasted bumper guide is what I believe to be correct for our PW's. Part numbers are cast into each piece. Major difference is in the radius. Hope these pictures show enough detail.
            Attached Files
            Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
            2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Comment

Tim, I will try to find time to crawl under both of my trucks and check the numbers.

Another thought occured to me. Not all Power-Wagons with winch came that way from the factory. You could also buy a Braden MU2 winch aftermarket, right from Braden, for the Power-Wagon. I wonder if some parts could have been slightly different?

Comment

I know ShyDave is reading this thread. I can hear the gears turning from here! ;^)

Comment

International M-2-4

This winch cable guide is correct for mid-production International M-2-4's (Dodge's ugly step cousin), which were supplied with the Braden MU2-A winch. Parts manual lists it as MU2A-184.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
                    I know ShyDave is reading this thread. I can hear the gears turning from here! ;^)
                    Indeed....

Tim and I have been discussing this at length, and comparing all the variables with the 3 examples I have. He truely has an interesting variant. I like your idea of the Braden option.

CD
                    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                    1954 Ford 860 tractor
                    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Ugly Step Cousin

Sounds like Ed has the scoop on this! I didn't even realize we had an ugly step-cousin, but I guess there is one in every family :-) Glad to hear there is a parts list with this number for a different application. Is this something you need, or should I keep looking for a good home?

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.
                      Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
                      2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Comment

Tim, thanks, I could put it to use. Let me know whats needed, primal4x4.at.msn.com
                        Ed

Comment

guide

Done! Sent you an e-mail. Thanks to all!
                          Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
                          2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Comment

compared part

Looks like I was way off. Part arrived and I took it to the Primal bone yard. After comparing with the International trucks it didn't match (part # in parts list did however.) So back to the books: 3/4 WC also lists MU2-184 for a production range. So tomorrow back to the yard to compare with the WC's. After re-looking at Tim's comparison photo I think I will find that it is early WC. Later production WC's and also PW ones were made more stout.

Comment

winch giude

Thanks Ed. Part has a better chance of a future life with you than sitting in my shop. If you figure it out, I would still be curious to know where it goes :-)
                              Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
                              2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Comment

Working...
                              X