After-market Transfer Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After-market Transfer Case

Who here can school me on this transfer case? The truck is currently listed on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...t_16547wt_1182).

I have seen pictures of this type of case, and am curious about it. It looks monstrous. Who made it? What purpose did it serve, etc.? I assume it was an after-market, rather than Dodge supplied extra equipment. Any one have insights to share?
    Attached Files
    John

It appears to have a bolt-on PTO opening cover to the upper left. It seems to have the right yokes.

I wonder if it might be a NP 201. The 1-ton Power Wagon is a NP 200.

The 200 was also used by International; the case was different, as were the mounts. Maybe someone adapted an IH 201 to this truck?

I am just speculating. It would help to actually get under the truck, and I realize you can't. I would not be afraid of the truck because of it.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Here is a pix of the NP201 I have out of a '68 W200.
      I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
      Will
      WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
      1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
      1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
      1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
      2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

I am suspecting the early yokes would fit on the later transfer case assembly. The IH has a different case because it mounts differently.

Comment

My question is simple curiosity. I am not personally interested in the eBay truck. But, with that said, I wonder if the transfer case was a simple swap, or if it served a specific application.

Dennis Sherman lists an identical (or nearly identical) case on his site. I pilfered the pictures (please delete if inappropriately used). The case looks to be a more rugged unit than the NP200. Perhaps that is a mistaken impression on my part.

Anyway, If such a transfer case was used by intentional design for a particular application, I am interested in learning what that might have been.
          Attached Files
          John

Comment

Originally posted by John Waak View Post
            My question is simple curiosity. I am not personally interested in the eBay truck. But, with that said, I wonder if the transfer case was a simple swap, or if it served a specific application.

Dennis Sherman lists an identical (or nearly identical) case on his site. I pilfered the pictures (please delete if inappropriately used). The case looks to be a more rugged unit than the NP200. Perhaps that is a mistaken impression on my part.

Anyway, If such a transfer case was used by intentional design for a particular application, I am interested in learning what that might have been.
            The bottom photo you post looks exactly like it, doesn't it? Even the yoke looks right.

I wonder what a transfer case from a 50's era W500 type truck looks like.

Comment

I sent Dennis a note, asking him what it is....

Comment

I don't know that it is more HD than the NP-200, but it is bigger. The rear has three output shafts. One for the brake drum and then two others. Not sure what the third shaft is for or if it runs at the same speed. Then in front it looks like there is some sort of hydraulic pump run by another shaft. Strange part is there are still only the normal two shifter rails, so the extra rear ouput is either always driven or is tied to the same shifter (which from my memory of the NP-200 case would be tricky).

I'd be really intersted to know where that came from, and more importantly what it's purpose was. I'm guessing it was built for something far more agricultural or industrial then a regular truck.

Comment

My first information from Dennis Sherman indicates it is from a Ditch Witch trencher.

I know from securing parts for my W300 that Ditch Witch had some Dana 70 differentials in certain models.

Comment

Ditch Witch . . . interesting.

It is fascinating to think where these trucks have been, and what work they have been configured for.

I appreciate your looking into this, Gordon. Thank you.
                    John

Comment

My next note from him explained that the Ditch Witch brand trencher was mounted on the back of a Power Wagon and this transfer case was on the truck. Apparently it was their design.

Comment

I am wondering.....

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                        My next note from him explained that the Ditch Witch brand trencher was mounted on the back of a Power Wagon and this transfer case was on the truck. Apparently it was their design.
                        I know that the trenchers designed for mounting on Jeeps had complicated "contraptions" that allowed them to inch along very slowly while digging the trench. I wonder if that transfer case may have very low low-range gearing that allowed the Power Wagon to inch along in the same manner. Also, the PTO appears to be integral to the transfer case, and I am guessing the Ditch Witch digger was hydraulically powered, judging by the hydraulic motor on the PTO output.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                          I wonder what a transfer case from a 50's era W500 type truck looks like.
                          Here's a 1957 W500 t-case. Front view. Other years are different.

Bucky
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X