Recommendations for Local Machine Shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for Local Machine Shop

If any of you live in the San Francisco Bay area, I'm looking for a recommendation for a good machine shop. I'm re-building the 230 from my '49 PW and I'm in need of a good, reliable shop that knows older engines.

Don't forget non-automotive options

The in-line, flat-head-six from MOPAR was used in many non-automotive applications. They were used in marine applications, fork-lifts, aviation tugs, generators, and irrigation pumps to name a few.

Even though the basic engine is becoming rarer across the board, don't limit your search to automotive machine shops. Since you are in San Francisco, all the various applications - marine, aviation, agriculture, materials handling equipment, and more are available. One use described by a regular on Joe's site was that engine hooked to a winch and dragging a boat cradle out of the water in a boat yard.

I have a project WC62 with the motor from a fork lift. In the fork lift the motor was mounted with the flywheel to the front (toward the drive wheels). All the driveline from the WC62 bolted onto the motor.

The exhaust manifold exited at the water pump end where the radiator was. It also has an updraft carburetor. It runs but will require the correct automotive exhaust and intake manifold.

The cam profile for automotive applications may be different from constant speed applications.

Comment

In addition to what Paul said, here is another good tip.
      COntact the local Model A or T club for your state or area. They undoubtedly have someone who is comfortable with flathead engine rebuilding.
      My machinist here in the east is popular with the old Ford crowd, and also had experience with a lesser amount of Mopar.
      He did a great job on my engine. While apart, he balanced it, so I can run it up if necessary ( I try to stay under 2500 rpm) and there is almost know vibration.
      Many modern machine shops don't want to do flatheads, but again, there are those that do.

Comment

Working...
      X