Part# for a starter on a 251

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part# for a starter on a 251

I am trying to complete the assembly on a 251 engine but the starter that I have has a 3 hole flange and not the 2 hole flange to match the housing. Since the starter came from a non-running engine I do not know if it will work but I would rather just buy a correct starter and move on.

Does anyone have a Part Number for the correct starter?

Thanks in advance.
    Joe

What is the application for this engine? A 1-ton Power Wagon of what year?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
      What is the application for this engine? A 1-ton Power Wagon of what year?
      Oops, I somehow deleted that information while creating the post.

This is engine is going into a '71 FFPW.

Comment

Is that what the engine was out of?

Comment

That I can't answer.
          The original motor that came with the truck (where the starter was mounted) is an IND engine. and the engine that I will be installing in the truck is an Israeli 251 that VPW was offering around 10 years ago.

Comment

NAPA typically has had what they called buyer's guides. Look up a part and see a picture. I admit, I am not sure if they have that for rebuilt starters. It would be interesting to contact sources of rebuilt starters for an original application and see what they come up with. What does their starter look like. I would think they could order it and you could go examine it.

Comment

Dixie Electric Cross over

The starter at the link below looks exactly like what I have on my 66 WM300. Other than how it looks, is it a problem using a three-hole starter body on a two hole flange??

Mine fits fully flush and covers the entire hole. See pics:

Below is the link the Dixie site.

I can also see if we have a used two-hole unit we could rebuild, or you could have rebuilt locally if you still have a shop that will.

http://www.dixie-electric.com/catalo...um_Ext=2095296

Dave
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by im02crazy View Post
                The starter at the link below looks exactly like what I have on my 66 WM300. Other than how it looks, is it a problem using a three-hole starter body on a two hole flange??

Mine fits fully flush and covers the entire hole. See pics:

Below is the link the Dixie site.

I can also see if we have a used two-hole unit we could rebuild, or you could have rebuilt locally if you still have a shop that will.

http://www.dixie-electric.com/catalo...um_Ext=2095296

Dave
                Thanks Dave,
                The only issue is the extra hole on the flange. But if that is the way the later PW came then I am okay with that as a last restore.

I am still trying to find something local to avoid the extra cost for shipping (except it is a little difficult without a part number) but might ask you to take a look for two-hole unit if I come up empty locally.

Joe

Comment

To be honest with you, that is the same thing on the '64 WM300 I use at work...3 hole starter, 2 bolts in it.

Comment

Interesting.

Comment

Working...
                    X