U-Bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U-Bolts

Need of some help. I need new U-Bolts for my 1949 PW restoration. It seems that the forged ones are no longer available. These square top bolts need a 1-13/16" ID width to fit over springs and line up with the holes in the mounts under axles. All of the U-Bolt manufacturers I have contacted (more than 20) say their dies will only do 1-3/4" (wont fit around springs) or 2" (wont fit into holes of mounts).

Any one replaced these? and does anyone know of a source to buy? I need both sets, front and rear.

Thanks for the help

When I had my springs re-sprung they made me four new U bolts in about four minutes. That are not exactly the same as the originals with the flat spots, but for 20 bucks it was a deal. Later that month I found some used ones for a good price that were in good shape, so I put stock ones that were forged back on.

I would suggest looking for a "spring" shop in your area. Big trucks get the big springs fixed all the time. The shop I went to would have made me new springs if I asked.

Good luck, if you live near Maryland I can point you in the right direction in Bladensburg.

Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by wayneh View Post
      When I had my springs re-sprung they made me four new U bolts in about four minutes. That are not exactly the same as the originals with the flat spots, but for 20 bucks it was a deal. Later that month I found some used ones for a good price that were in good shape, so I put stock ones that were forged back on.

I would suggest looking for a "spring" shop in your area. Big trucks get the big springs fixed all the time. The shop I went to would have made me new springs if I asked.

Good luck, if you live near Maryland I can point you in the right direction in Bladensburg.

Wayne
      If you have a name of a spring shop in Maryland I would love to get it. I do not mind paying shipping. All the shops I have tried will only make them 1-3/4" or 2" wide and again it looks like I need 1-13/16"

Comment

The shop is called R+S Auto and Truck Spring Works located in Bladensburg Maryland. Their number is 301-864-5805. I'm not sure if they will do what you want, but I have to imagine if you sent them your springs they will make duplicates. I'm no expert, but I have to believe there are spring shops like R+S in most large cities. Also, I know some of the folks on this forum sell used springs that are the OEM ones. There is some disagreement apparently whether a used spring can be re-torqued and re-used, but the consensus seems to be that the OEM forged springs can be used again.

Good luck.

Wayne

Comment

Any suspension shop can make them also. I had new ones, not forged, made at a suspension shop locally for fairly cheap.

Comment

Same here, went to the local heavy truck shop and had them done while I waited for less then $100 including hardware.

If you go with bent springs the only caveat is you need to shape the plate that goes between the springs and the bolts so that it follows the shape of the new bolts. You want the flat in the middle carrying the force not the edges.

Might also want to ask them for the tightening specs. The nuts they provide are special and cannot be re-used.

Comment

Working...
            X