Rear axel bearings.. please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear axel bearings.. please help

I am replacing the rear axel seals all around on my 46 FFPW. I have the diff pulled and replacing the pinion seal and so on. Before I reassemble everything please advise If I pack the wheel bearings with grease or is this an oil bearing setup? There wasn't any grease in the bearings when I pulled them, just covered in diff oil. Was the grease "washed" away by the diff fluid? I am having a complete mind blank on this for some reason.. I've checked the service manual, and from what I've read, it mentions nothing about packing the bearings. The bearings and races are good though, no pits or rust or anything, and spin great.. Please help.. Thanks. Brandon.

Greased
    NLGI #2
    Last edited by John Waak; 06-08-2013, 07:55 PM. Reason: typo
    John

Comment

The original design was to be packed with NLGI #2 as mentioned. There should be an outer oil seal that is mounted beneath the axle shaft flange to prevent diff oil from entering the hub. If the seal fails, or isn't there, oil enters the hub where it will wash the bearings of grease. Since the inner hub seals design is not to hold oil, most often the oil escapes the inner seal also where it will soak the brake linings rendering your brakes useless. The outer seal lip mating surface is on the flange of the outer spindle nut. Many times the nut is grooved or rust pitted, in this case a new seal does not work. The nut must be either restored or replaced. There are new production rubber seals that work well if the mating flange is good. The older leather seals won't make the cut.

Comment

Thanks guys!! I thought so.. Just having one of those "moments" I guess. Its funny how you can be working along on something like a well oiled machine, and then all of a sudden a gear slips and your mind reverts you back to your young teenage years of mechanical inexperience. LOL.. Such is life I guess.

Thanks again for the help and immediate response.. I am extremely grateful for that. Rear diff almost complete and should be finishing up today.. Next up, the front diff, on a different weekend of course.. Any tips and tricks of the trade would be welcomed!!..

Comment

Working...
        X