Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tow truck with wide cab

Hi,

Found a non running tow truck less than 250 miles from here. However, the cab looks strange. Does anyone know what kind of truck the cab is from?
    Attached Files

Not a normal cab that I have seen.
    However my best guess would be that it started out as a "Chassis Cowl"
    From Dodge, like would be sent to a coach builder for some type of van body or bus.
    Then someone cut and modified the body into a regular type cab.
    More information,pictures would help.
    Tom
    WDX & Misc. Pics.
    http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
    "47" Dodge WDX WW
    "52" Dodge M-37 WW
    "54" Willys M38A1
    "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
    "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
    "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
    "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
    "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
    "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

If you have ever had occasion to see the French Dodge book you would observe that cabs of all kinds were fitted to Dodges after the war. Some of them appeared to be commercial cabs taken from trucks of international manufacturer, and some seem to be custom fabricated. You might look at that cab to see if there any signs of a manufacturer name to determine if it came from an existing brand of truck.

It looks like it was nicely done.

I say these things even though this chassis is a postwar assembly.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I actually aquired (unseen) my first PW a few weeks ago. It is what I believe a rusted out "Chassis Cowl" truck. Haven't had it delivered yet, will probably see it in a week or so.

The design looks terrible, it's an old firetruck (army?) that looks like a hunchback. Cab is totally chopped up, they took something beautiful and then destroyed it. Hopefully the running gear should be ok.

How were the "Chassis Cowl" trucks equipped from the factory? Were they regular trucks without the bed or was the cab missing aswell?

Comment

I have some pictures here in a manual that I can't find. Imagine nothing to the rear of the instrument panel. Imagine front fenders and running boards.
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Dodge chassis cowl examples

Dodge Trucks 1929-1947 Photo Archive, page 33, 1933 half-ton commercial chassis;
            Dodge Trucks 1948-1960 Photo Archive, page 46, about the middle of the page, on the left of the 1956 Model H two-ton chassis cab;
            Dodge Trucks 1948-1960 Photo Archive, page 66, A standard D-800 or standard D-900 chassis (just a standard chassis).

Comment

cab

If your in sweeden, could this be an m601 that was locally modified? also kind of looks like a shortened bus body?

Comment

It could quite possible be so. It seems almost impossible to find a Power Wagon with a regular cab in this country.

Comment

Working...
                X