1968 wm300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1968 wm300

Does the 1968 version of the Civilian power wagon come with power steering or was that an option?
    Last edited by Splinters; 07-04-2013, 02:15 PM. Reason: worded incorrectly

It would have been an option.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Scab

Scab, I know it's a dirty word however I have my reasons. What type of pre 1980 4x4 V-8 daily driver vehicle would best receive a 1968 WM 300 body?
      Last edited by Splinters; 07-09-2013, 06:27 PM. Reason: Worded Incorrectly

Comment

Simple answer would be to say that nothing would be easy. You can feel better about it if that was the Dodge chassis.

Comment

Engine Swap

If this is the case, and by no means did I believe it to be easy, an engine swap in the 68 WM 300 to a more modern V-8 would be just as hard or harder? If I found a old Chevy Apache would be cool. Concerned about the frame width.
          Last edited by Splinters; 07-10-2013, 01:14 PM. Reason: Incorrect

Comment

It really depends on what your ultimate use for the truck is. Since the Ugly Truckling kits are almost impossible to get now swapping the engine/trans into the stock frame isn't as easy as it once was, and will require upgrades to other systems such as brakes to safely handle the extra power and any speed changes. That said without changing the axle ratios the most powerful engine made isn't going to get you any faster then the stock engine, just get you to that speed faster with a greater chance of breaking something.

If you are trying for a "daily driver" type car then the body swap is your best bet since you will be buying a chassis designed to operate at more modern speeds (though an 80s is still far enough back it's pushing that concept).

I can't identify any particular vehicle, but a good starting point would be something with roughly the same wheelbase as the Power Wagon, so you don't have to lengthen or shorten the frame. Then I would think the length of the engine bay would be just as important, maybe more. Too long an engine bay and you will have to either doghouse the already small cab to fit the engine under the hood, or lengthen the hood and fenders to fit the longer engine bay. Neither one sounds like fun to me, just for different reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Splinters View Post
              If this is the case, and by no means did I believe it to be easy, an engine swap in the 68 WM 300 to a more modern V-8 would be just as hard or harder? If I found a old Chevy Apache would be cool. Concerned about the frame width.
              I don't believe that anyone would say swapping a V-8 engine into an early Power Wagon is an easy thing. The same would be true of swapping axles. Having said all that, if you attempt to put the cab and bed of an early Power Wagon onto a late-model pickup truck chassis you'll find that you have a whole constellation of things that don't fit. The cab and front end sheet metal don't fit the frame. What will you do about steering? Numerous brackets and modifications will be necessary; consider also the late-model frame will probably be wider than the early cabin box. Personally, I believe it would be harder to mount the early cab and bed on the late chassis.

Another, and different, consideration — whether you give any thought to selling the struck again someday may not seem important to you now. It is worth considering. The easiest thing to sell, assuring the best resale value, is an unmodified and original truck. The next easiest thing to sell is one that is at an engine conversion and/or drivetrain component conversion. That is assuming it's done well. If it's not done well — if it is a poorly executed job — you may not be able to sell it at all.

The least easy thing to sell, with perhaps the poorest resale value, is early sheet-metal mounted on a late-model chassis. That's if it's done really well. If it's done poorly, you've got nothing. Other than a ruined Power Wagon cab and bed.

I have no personal objection to engine and drivetrain conversions — I don't raise the purists objection. I admire the beautifully crafted work of Street writers. I have two 425 Oldsmobiles I keep to possibly use in a conversion. Those of us who have been in the hobby for a while have seen enough badly done conversions that didn't sell that the prospect of it saddens us. The execution is absolutely everything.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do. I am suggesting that you should think about the possible long-term effects of any choice you make, the long-term effects of ever getting your money back out.

Comment

Conversions

My end goal is to have a daily town and country driver. No rock climbing, four wheeling or racing. I would like to top out at about 65 mph. without making everything scream. So a 251 six, or one in that area, is all I need. The axle switch is not a real good nor easy answer and considering the transmission and transfer cases are so low geared, what is the most direct route to obtaining my goal. It will be a frame off restoration but I don't need a LEGACY, or Show truck.

I need the transfer case or a transfer case, no winch no PTO. I just really don't want to go 35 to 40 mph every where I go. I'll think of something. Thanks again. It's all valuable info.

Comment

Buy a used Toyota 4X4. It will do everything you want except look cool. And, you won't be driving a death trap at 65 MPH.

Hey, I just say these things because I like to hear myself. I know it won't have any affect.

Comment

?

Well I can't say that it is not an idea. but uh ............... Not. Perhaps I'll change gears and keep thinking. Maybe I'll just put all my efforts into my current project truck. 1969 F-100 Stepside. Thanks everyone

Comment

The important aspect of either conversion though is that the truck was engineered as a system, and drastically modifying any part of that system will be either useless or dangerous without also making sure the rest of the truck is modified to match as required. Better gearing and more power means better brakes and steering, etc.

Bolting the body to a new frame will require a lot of interface pieces but the engineering of the chassis, suspension, steering, and drivetrain were all done as a system for the vehicle they came from you are just changing where they get operated from. Conversions like mine involve trying to verify that all the different systems will work together, and that is only known because I'm not the first to do this conversion. I would argue there is every bit as much bracketry and modification in my swap, it's just that most of it is done to mechanical bits vice body and sheetmetal.

I do have to agree with Gordon though, any major conversion will cost large sums of money and unless it is done very well, or very mildly, it's almost always going to be a money losing venture for any of the reasons he listed and others. Doesn't mean it's not worth doing, just that it has to be worth it to you only.

Comment

This topic comes up quite often and was even brought up by me when I started down the Power Wagon road. No one is saying it can't be done, I think they're saying it takes a level of commitment (time and money) that the average guy can't make.

I too was looking to do an engine/tanny/axles/transfer case swap initially, until I researched what was really involved and how much it would cost. Not to mention, it was way beyond my skill set. Not that I couldn't do it, just that it would have been a major undertaking with a lot of on-the-job training. I decided that I wanted to just get my truck running and drivable first. Besides, I would rather drive my truck than work on it. But that's just me. Even a year after purchasing my truck, it is still not on the road. Hopefully, soon.

You may have the skills, tools, time, inclination and a pocket full of cash. In the end, it's your truck, make it yours. Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CSCameron View Post
                          This topic comes up quite often and was even brought up by me when I started down the Power Wagon road. No one is saying it can't be done, I think they're saying it takes a level of commitment (time and money) that the average guy can't make.

I too was looking to do an engine/tanny/axles/transfer case swap initially, until I researched what was really involved and how much it would cost. Not to mention, it was way beyond my skill set. Not that I couldn't do it, just that it would have been a major undertaking with a lot of on-the-job training. I decided that I wanted to just get my truck running and drivable first. Besides, I would rather drive my truck than work on it. But that's just me. Even a year after purchasing my truck, it is still not on the road. Hopefully, soon.

You may have the skills, tools, time, inclination and a pocket full of cash. In the end, it's your truck, make it yours. Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.
                          Well put! One of the reasons my build thread is as detailed as it is, is because I wanted to show all the work that is involved, to either help those that are crazy enough to follow, or to help them realize just how much work they are setting themselves up for.

Plus it's the only way I get to enjoy the truck right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
                            Well put! One of the reasons my build thread is as detailed as it is, is because I wanted to show all the work that is involved, to either help those that are crazy enough to follow, or to help them realize just how much work they are setting themselves up for.

Plus it's the only way I get to enjoy the truck right now.
                            Your build thread is one of the threads that convinced me to just get it drivable first! Great work by the way. It is a pleasure to watch your progress. Thanks for taking the time to make such detail posts. I know it adds a lot of time and effort to the build.

Comment

Working...
                            X