Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware

I'm in the thick of restoring my '49 FFPW. I've had the frame, axle housing, springs, brackets, etc. chemically dipped to remove crud/rust and then powder coated. I'm about ready to start putting everything back together. The question I now have, is what to do with the hardware. I've cleaned and wire brushed all the hardware, but should I paint it to match where it's going, have it plated, or? How was the hardware handled at the factory? For those who have done restorations, I'd like to know what you did as well.

I've powder coated some of the fasteners with my home kit. Others I've painted, usually after installation so they don't chip, or left with their stock coatings.

Any non-critical fasteners that will be exposed to the elements I've been trying to replace with stainless (i.e. tubing clamps, accessory brackets, etc.).

Comment

Thanks for the info. What home powder coat kit do you use?

Comment

The Eastwood kit. It works well and delivers nice results, though like anything it's all about the prep, but even my early stuff turned out pretty good despite some of my mistakes.

It's very durable and forgiving in my experience.

Comment

Working...
        X