How tight to tighten the oil pan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How tight to tighten the oil pan.

I need to tighten up my oil pan. It has a new cork gasket. I have all the bolts run in but don't have the experience to know how hard to draw them down. How about a tork spec or a description of when to say when. Jim

There is a torque specification. I've never been really comfortable with using a specified torque on a pan gasket like that.

My conversational description of what to do — and others may disagree, please feel free to do so — is to use a short, 3/8 drive ratchet and one hand, operating it with a wrist twisting action. Something like a screwdriver, though you have a bit of leverage.

Run them all up snug, meaning just snug, then begin tightening them perhaps a quarter turn at a time. Use a tightening sequence that allows the gasket to create from the center to the end as required. You will go through this sequence maybe four or five times. By the end you will be exerting a pretty good force, though not popping the blood vessels in your neck.

Too tight damages and gasket and possibly the pan's flange. Worst case you twist off a bolt.

I realize this is not a numerically definitive description. I would feel better demonstrating it obviously can't. Others will contribute.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Thanks Gordon, That was a very understandable description. I'll go back under and tighten them a bit more. Jim

Comment

They should end up uniformly tight.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Working...
        X