Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axel Ratio & Transfer Case. 1958 L230

Hey Everyone

My last thread "restoration begins" has been long archived. After having a new baby and focused on parenting for the last year time has past without much progress on my other child 1957 FFPW, however I'm back at it now with my project.

I have a 56 for parts and would like to use the 4.89 axels that are in the 56 for my 57 as they are in much better shape and will give me a little better HWY speed. The 57 has the standard 5.89. My question is, do I need to touch the transfer case gearing for this swap? Was there any difference in the TC between the two years? I hoping to use the 57 TC as it is in good shape. The 56 TC was in pieces when I got it.

I am aware of the Synchros trans the on the 57. However, I don't see why the transfer cases would be different and cause me any problems in swapping out the axels from one to the other??

Were all 230 Engines heads stamped with a Dodge Logo? My 58 wasn't but it is marked with the correct L230 block stamp.(The head bolts have a "C'' on them). I believe 58 was the first year for this change on the 230? I know there was so many variation but i'm trying to stay true to the period with the rebuild and refurbishing. Winch brings me to my last question. It ran before i started stripping parts. Not well but it also hadn't started for 15 years. Should I send it in for a rebuild by a machine shop to ensure everything is in perfect order?
    Are there any other Canucks who can chime in on a good rebuilder familiar with this engine? I would consider shipping the bare engine to ensure its done perfectly. I will not have time to complete a full engine rebuild myself or do I have the proper tools for doing so.

Is there a difference why there was two sizes of oil filters for the 230? The one pictured is the larger one. I have some misc. parts from the 56 and the oil filter housing is smaller...there's also one made of ALM and another of steel, they're the same shape and style. Did the oil filter assembly improve with age?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Congrats on the child.

As for the transfer case i know of no difference or changes over their life, and the only change from the different axle ratios would have been the speedometer gear so the gauge read correctly, but they are not too difficult to swap.

Comment

Thanks for the info Desoto.

This was what I thought. I never thought about the speedo. The 4.89 also had smaller bud wheels...they just don't look correct but served their purpose.

Comment

Working...
      X