Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8, Auto Trans, Dana 60, NV205 Help!!

Hi all,

I am brand new to this forum and a brand new owner of a 52 Power Wagon! I have been a long time lurker and still have some questions I am sure you all can help me with.

My build plans so far:
    Chrysler 318 or 360 engine, OR Chevy 350
    4 Speed Automatic Transmission or Turbo 400 to go with Chevy
    NP205 Divorced Transfer Case
    Dana 60 Axles, rear locking differential 4.56 gear ratio

Basically my questions are:
    1) Which engine selection should I go with? The Chevy seems to be easier to find and more available, but I see most people going the Chrysler route. I was wondering which is a better engine for a Power Wagon build that will mostly be a city driver, not much off road use. I also don't mind mixing and matching companies (sorry all I offend with this) so whichever is the most functional and upgradeable would be preferable.

2) NP205 Divorced Transfer Case... Any better options? I like the idea of keeping it divorced and have heard great things about the NP205.

3) Dana 60 Axles. I dont need heavy duty off road capability, but some fire road and desert trekking around will happen. I have seen many Dana 60's for sale and don't know what I should be looking for to install in my project.
    I found this thread: http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...ad.php?p=93271

and still cannot understand what axle I should be looking for.
    I don't know if I need high or low Pinion and if it needs King Pin or if it needs to be floating/semi floating? I Do want to convert to Disk Brakes and power steering, so both of those will be upgraded with the axles. The only thing I am pretty sure on is the 4.56 gear ratio.

I could really use your help in selecting parts that are compatible in the drive train to make this fit together well and make sense. I also want to utilize the original frame for this build so dropping on a new rolling chassis from a newer vehicle is not something I am interested in. I really appreciate all of your help in advance!!

Thanks All,

Dirk

Welcome to the fun.

What you intent to do with the truck, will determine How and With what you go with. A lot of good old nostalgic, good looking parts in these trucks, but everyone has their own eye on what they like.

Most of us use a Mopar engine to keep it in the family, but I understand the cost advantage of the cheby. an automatic is a tough fit because of the length, especialy with a divorced transfer case. the rear drive shaft gets short and at a steep angle.

Upgrading to an modern axle helps in re-gearing for road speeds, and give you the ability of updating brakes and steering as well. these are 1 ton trucks, and the Dana 60 is a 1 ton axle, and always a good choice with lots of aftermarket support. If you are staying mostly on road you don't need a high pinion.
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

There was an article in the magazine a few months ago about swapping axles, specifically which ones will fit without a lot of work. Just be aware that an axle swap means figuring out a new steering system. The upgrade is probably worth it, but steering geometry and such is not a plug and play sort of thing.

I would really try to stick with a non-divorced transfer case for the reasons Bill stated. You will already have length issues with the new engine and tranny before you throw in the intermediate shaft and transfer case. Plus you will have to build two new crossmembers that way vice one if you use a trany/transfer case combo. The NP205 came attached to some trannies and adapters are avalable in many cases where they didn't. It's a good option though since it is gear driven and mainy just a modified version of the NP200 that was in our trucks originally.

Just make sure you are getting both the transfer case and axle that are offset on the same side!

Playing with a gear calculator online will be beneficial for finding a good axle ratio, since with a more modern axle you will get more ratios. It will pay dividends in the long run in helping you get the speeds you want and keep the motor happy at the same time.

Comment

Is the engine compartment physically larger on a WM300 then it is on the B2 version of the power wagon? After doing research it seems people say there is more room to work in the WM300 later model years then the B2 version.

After talking with Vintage Power Wagon parts they indicated they are all the same. Any clarification on engine compartment size? Do they look the same on the outside?

Thanks Everyone!

Comment

They moved the grill and radiator forward when they went to the 251 I6 so they had room for the slightly bigger engine, but that's not the issue you'd probably have with a V8.

Comment

When they moved the grill and radiator forward, does that make the WM300 with the 251 engine have a slightly longer hood? Or was it only internal in the engine compartment where you can't tell from the outside? Did the body physically change or just moving things inside the engine compartment?

Comment

Hood didn't change, nor did the grill shell. The grill was moved out with a couple of extensions.
              I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
              Will
              WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
              1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
              1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
              1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
              2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Dirk,
                I was in your shoes a year ago wanting many of the same things. In order to get what I wanted and not being a expert in truck building, I choose to by a 1998 Dodge 2500 and use the 1998 2500 Dodge truck as a donor truck.
                The '98 Dodge I bought was a solid truck with a 5.9 liter, 360 V8 with 245 hp and 335 lbs of torque. It has a 727 Torqueflight A518/46RE 4-speed auto transmission with overdrive. The transfercase is a NP241 with 2.72:1 gears in low range and 1:1 direct drive in high. Both front and rear axles are Dana 60's. I ended up selling the body, interior parts off the 98, and the rolling chassis off my 48 in order the get a daily driver. Today, almost a year later, I am about to move into painting and putting it all together. Check out my blog at;
                1948dodgepowerwagon.blogspot.com
                The guys on here will be a great help to you. And they are right about the size of the engine you are wanting. I had to stretch my hood 4". Mainly though because I wanted everything the 98 had to stay on the 98 chassis where it was factory placed. I look forward to sharing photo's when done.

Comment

Working...
                X