So excited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So excited

83927546 a 1952 is mine. Picking it up Monday morning. Pictures and trip report to follow. Truck appears to be in good shape and goal is to drive it home, albeit slowly. I am in no rush, and I packed 41pounds of tools as a just in case stash.

Knowing this truck has been running, and driven occasionally over last two years by the current owner, what would you look out for, what would you do before you left?

I was planning on compression check just to make sure no obvious issues. Then tune up. I will check when fluid changes were last done and maybe do this as well.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Scott

Shy group?

Thought more advice would flow

Originally posted by Scottwagon View Post
    83927546 a 1952 is mine. Picking it up Monday morning. Pictures and trip report to follow. Truck appears to be in good shape and goal is to drive it home, albeit slowly. I am in no rush, and I packed 41pounds of tools as a just in case stash.

Knowing this truck has been running, and driven occasionally over last two years by the current owner, what would you look out for, what would you do before you left?

I was planning on compression check just to make sure no obvious issues. Then tune up. I will check when fluid changes were last done and maybe do this as well.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Scott

Comment

Give it time, there will be plenty of people chiming in soon...

Congratulations! How far is the truck from your home? Have you personally inspected it? Have you seen it move under it's own power? Just curious. It might be a bit ambitious to think you're going to drive it home?

I would be concerned with several things. 1. fuel delivery - has the fuel tank been cleaned recently? Fuel goes bad quick, filters in place? 2. If you can get it moving under its own power, will you be able to stop it? Brakes on these old trucks are usually bad. 3. If you get it to start, stop. Does it have brake lights that work? 4. Will it overheat after running a short time? Is the radiator in good shape? Full of fluids and not leaking?

There are a ton of other things to check but these are a couple of the biggies considering you're plan to drive it right away. Good luck, hope it all goes as you plan it. Let us see some pics ASAP!

Comment

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Scott
        Visually inspect for brake fluid leaks. Check all lubricant levels. Consider adjusting brakes if pedal is low. Grease all grease fittings including steering knuckles/housings. Check coolant level and belt tension. Check tire pressure. Have a spare?

When was last engine oil change?

How far are you going?
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Scott
          13 years ago I did exactly what you describe with a truck that had been stored inside a dry shop and occasionally used over the past 6 years, only I first drove 2hrs to a friends house where I stayed overnight. The next day I drove 7hrs home.

The prior weekend I made the trip to the truck's old home and worked on it for a whole day. I installed a rebuilt carb on the truck, a new master cylinder and I bled the brakes. I installed a new water pump and flushed the cooling system. I also installed a new battery, plugs, points and a new fuel pump. I checked all fluid levels and visually checked the gear lubricants to make sure they were reasonably clean. I changed the engine oil and filter and cleaned and filled the air filter. I greased everything and verified the compression.

For the trip home, I carried four spare tires mounted on good wheels, four spare quarts of oil, about 2 gallons of gear lube, a brand new gallon of brake fluid, two gallons of new antifreeze, 5 gallons of water, a rebuilt distributor, a spare working regulator, a spare working carbureter, two new wheel cylinders, 5 gallons of gasoline, a spare working fuel pump, and all the old parts I had pulled off and changed the week before. I also took rolls of wire, wire connectors, wiring tools, electrical tape, duct tape, electrical circuit testers, high-lift jacks, a floor jack, a 3/4-inch drive socket set (along with multiple sets of smaller sockets and wrenches) with long breaker bars and pipes for cheater bars. I took flexible fuel lines in case I had to bypass the fuel tank and run off a jerry can sitting on the passenger side floor. I took plenty of log chains and a long tube to use over a log chain for a makeshift tow bar. I had a long a full grease gun as well as a 5lb container of wheel bearing grease. I took along a fully charged fire extinguisher. The most important thing was that my understanding wife followed in a chase vehicle and she voluntarily offered much more than just moral support.

The morning I left my friend's house, the condenser gave out. I also lost the gasket between the intake and exhaust manifolds on the way home. Other than that, the trip was a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
            13 years ago I did exactly what you describe with a truck that had been stored inside a dry shop and occasionally used over the past 6 years, only I first drove 2hrs to a friends house where I stayed overnight. The next day I drove 7hrs home.

The prior weekend I made the trip to the truck's old home and worked on it for a whole day. I installed a rebuilt carb on the truck, a new master cylinder and I bled the brakes. I installed a new water pump and flushed the cooling system. I also installed a new battery, plugs, points and a new fuel pump. I checked all fluid levels and visually checked the gear lubricants to make sure they were reasonably clean. I changed the engine oil and filter and cleaned and filled the air filter. I greased everything and verified the compression.

For the trip home, I carried four spare tires mounted on good wheels, four spare quarts of oil, about 2 gallons of gear lube, a brand new gallon of brake fluid, two gallons of new antifreeze, 5 gallons of water, a rebuilt distributor, a spare working regulator, a spare working carbureter, two new wheel cylinders, 5 gallons of gasoline, a spare working fuel pump, and all the old parts I had pulled off and changed the week before. I also took rolls of wire, wire connectors, wiring tools, electrical tape, duct tape, electrical circuit testers, high-lift jacks, a floor jack, a 3/4-inch drive socket set (along with multiple sets of smaller sockets and wrenches) with long breaker bars and pipes for cheater bars. I took flexible fuel lines in case I had to bypass the fuel tank and run off a jerry can sitting on the passenger side floor. I took plenty of log chains and a long tube to use over a log chain for a makeshift tow bar. I had a long a full grease gun as well as a 5lb container of wheel bearing grease. I took along a fully charged fire extinguisher. The most important thing was that my understanding wife followed in a chase vehicle and she voluntarily offered much more than just moral support.

The morning I left my friend's house, the condenser gave out. I also lost the gasket between the intake and exhaust manifolds on the way home. Other than that, the trip was a blast.
            Clint, that is awesome! You did in a day what it has taken me a year to do! LOL! And mine is still not on the road. Hilarious.

Comment

Awesome trip

Can't say I am traveling with all those spares, but the fluids will be along for the ride, break, transmission, engine, etc...oh yeah and gas...just how far will one of these travel on a tank?

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post

Comment

Can't say I am traveling with all those spares, but the fluids will be along for the ride, break, transmission, engine, etc...oh yeah and gas...just how far will one of these travel on a tank?
                That depends on how heavy your foot is and how fast you want to go.
                Tank mine 1966 WM-300 251 engine holds 22 gallons to nozzle shut off, at 45 mph gets 13 mpg = 286 miles per tank in my truck. I have never gone any where without an extra 5-10 gallons on board.

MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE A FULLY CHARGED FIRE EXTINGUISHER WITH YOU, I did not, all my wiring was fried under dash, before I could get the battery disconnected.

By the way that was a few years ago (2010) have since started a restoration on it due to the electrical fire and front axle problems and general up grading.

Good luck on your endeavor what ever that is. OH! AND BY THE WAY TAKE EAR PLUGS WITH YOU, THE SOUND OF ROAD, ENGINE, AND GEAR NOISE WILL DRIVE YOU BATTY, EARS WILL RING FOR DAYS AFTERWARDS.

Bob Hunt

Comment

Thought more advice would flow
                  You really didn't give much information to work with. How far will you be travelling? What kind of roads will you be travelling on. Condition of tires, etc.?

I'd ask, "What are your contingency plans when the truck breaks down?" If it's a long distance, do you have an intermediate storage area where the truck can be towed to and stored?

Do you have somebody available, commercial or a friend, who can respond with a tow vehicle and not charge you an arm an a leg.

Brakes on these vehicles are not to be trusted until they have a thorough going over.

Realistically, it is very ambitious to take one of these old trucks out for a long drive without having had it for a long time and worked out the problems.

Comment

Truck and tires appear to be in very good condition and it has been driven roughly 500 miles within the last 6 months.

That said, I have a friend standing by with a truck and trailer to come and get me if problems arise that I am unable to cope with on the road.

An adventure yes, irresponsible, I don't believe so

As for the breaks, I will be doing a full on inspection before I drive. I have lost breaks before and that is no fun at all, and very memorable.

Originally posted by gmharris View Post
                    You really didn't give much information to work with. How far will you be travelling? What kind of roads will you be travelling on. Condition of tires, etc.?

I'd ask, "What are your contingency plans when the truck breaks down?" If it's a long distance, do you have an intermediate storage area where the truck can be towed to and stored?

Do you have somebody available, commercial or a friend, who can respond with a tow vehicle and not charge you an arm an a leg. Hopefully, you have at least one person following in another vehicle.

Brakes on these vehicles are not to be trusted until they have a thorough going over.

Realistically, it is very ambitious to take one of these old trucks out for a long drive without having had it for a long time and worked out the problems.

Comment

Truck and tires appear to be in very good condition and it has been driven roughly 500 miles within the last 6 months.

That said, I have a friend standing by with a truck and trailer to come and get me if problems arise that I am unable to cope with on the road.

An adventure yes, irresponsible, I don't believe so

As for the breaks, I will be doing a full on inspection before I drive. I have lost breaks before and that is no fun at all, and very memorable.
                      Your first sentence is very meaningful. It sounds like you should be OK. The relief truck is good, too.

Have fun!
                      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Scott: Where are you located anyway? Lot of folks spread around the country, and if you get in a jam we might be able to lend you a hand if you get stuck.

Assuming you have 5.89 gears, I imagine you know you won't be cruising at 65 MPH... matter of fact, my sounds like I need to shift when I hit 35 MPH, and 40 really sounds like you need to shift!

I've had my truck for a year and a half now, and from what I can tell as long as it has clean gas going to the carb it runs.

Good luck

Wayne
                        Davidsonville, MD

Comment

Scott,
                          I agree with Wayne.
                          Where are you located?
                          Dave

Comment

Sorry been busy

I flew into Indian River MI and right now I am in Charleston WV today was about 430 miles and yesterday about 160. 9.8 miles to the gallon and burning about 1/2 quart of oil per tank of gas. The truck was in really good shape. More updates later

But one problem. Front window opened with crank but now won't close

Comment

I have found that the window opening mechanism works best in low speed situations; the vibration at high speed can get the cog knocked off the tape.
                              Try pushing the window up with one hand while you work the crank handle. I bet the cog is no longer in the little cut out on the tape and that is causing the problem.
                              You can take the center window opening mechanism completely out and inspect and fix it if needed but I bet I am right.
                              I use the cowl vent at high speed with the windshield closed. I also turn the door vent windows all the way out so the air is directed in on me.

Comment

Working...
                              X