Oil filler neck meets engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil filler neck meets engine

And leaks. There appears to be a small ring or rolled flange at the bottom of the filler neck where it meets the block and then just forward and just behind are what look to be 1/4-20 threaded holes. Am I missing a bracket of some kind? The filler neck is leaking oil right where it goes into the block and I thought I would deal with it when I did an oil change...but I was hoping someone could tell my what I might be dealing with

Thanks

On the 1-ton Power Wagon, the oil filler tube is a pressure fit. No other bolts or brackets hold the tube in place. Over time, or with abuse, the tube may work loose in the block and wiggle around, leak, etc.

To fix, carefully remove the tube from the block. The base of the tube is tapered. That's how it wedges tight in the block. Once you have it out, figure out a way to slightly expand, or open, the tapered end of the tube.

I repaired mine, but it is too many years ago to remember how I did it. I don't think I used pliers, as that would distort the circular shape of the tube. I may have inserted a large socket, and carefully, slowly, rolled the tube under just enough pressure to open up the diameter. Again, we are talking about incremental amounts so don't go crazy.

When the tube is just large enough to still get started in the oil filler hole in the block, position the tube in place and tap it in place using a block of wood and hammer.

ps- the two bolt holes have no use on our trucks. They should not leak as they are not drilled through.
    John

Comment

John, thanks very much. Sounds like a great little Sunday project

Comment

Before you go to any extreme, place a block of wood on the filler and give it a few firm raps with a hammer. Don't overdue it, you don't want to damage anything.

Comment

does the flange normally get pretty close to the block when its seated correctly? Mine is up a good 1/4 inch

Originally posted by gmharris View Post
          Before you go to any extreme, place a block of wood on the filler and give it a few firm raps with a hammer. Don't overdue it, you don't want to damage anything.

Comment

And a follow up about gasket sealer

Along with the oil fill tube, the threaded rod for the dipstick is also weeping at the threads. If I were to re-seat these, would gasket compound or sealer of any sort be recommended?

Thanks

Comment

I suspect Dodge didn't pay too much attention to how the tube sat in the engine block. The rolled edge is merely a stop. If the taper seats the tube before the stop makes contact -call it good.

gmharris offers good advice: a block of wood and a few raps with a hammer may be all you need.

As far as sealant goes, I personally wouldn't risk having sealant fall off into the crankcase and causing way more problems than an oil weep. Nevertheless, that is your call.

These old engines are not oil-tight like a modern day engine. A little weeping oil was expected and accepted. While some guys do an excellent job of building very clean and tight drivetrains, I consider a minimal amount of oil weep as good rust prevention.
              John

Comment

Working...
              X