Headlight switch knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight switch knob

So the knob pulled off the switch. There is no set screw, what am I missing here how's is it supposed to attach to the shaft? The switch works great, and I would like to attach the knob in a way that will let me remove it at a later date. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Originally posted by Scottwagon View Post
    So the knob pulled off the switch. There is no set screw, what am I missing here how's is it supposed to attach to the shaft? The switch works great, and I would like to attach the knob in a way that will let me remove it at a later date. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    What year? There were different ones used over the years.

Comment

Its a 1952 and on the underneath side of the knob is a small slot...that is all i can tell

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
      What year? There were different ones used over the years.

Comment

What does the switch's shaft end look like?
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

The picture of the shaft end is blurry. I gather it is not threaded?

Given your knob configuration, I think the shaft has a circumfrential groove at the end. A spring or catch in the knob may be bad.
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

No, its not threaded but there doesn't seem to be any groove either. I was expecting that. I will take another look with bright lights tonight

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
            The picture of the shaft end is blurry. I gather it is not threaded?

Given your knob configuration, I think the shaft has a circumfrential groove at the end. A spring or catch in the knob may be bad.

Comment

The knob is spring loaded. It just pushes on. To get it off, you push a small screwdriver tip into the slot to release the spring. Sometimes, it takes a little effort to get the knob on or off.

If the knob just pulled off, the spring may have failed. In that case, that's why you're having difficulty figuring out how it works. Hopefully, the knob just worked itself off. Try pushing it firmly back on. You should be able to feel it slide into place. If the knob goes all the way on without a change in resistance and doesn't hold, the spring is the problem.

Unfortunately, because the headlight knob is one of the most used, they are fairly expensive if you can find one in good condition.

Comment

Yahoo

It's the little things like light switches that can make you smile. Thank you GMHARRIS. I was able to get stronger glasses to see what was going on and there is a bit of I guess spring steel in there that acts like a collar of sorts. I was able to push the knob on and then with a small eye glass size screwdriver, push the collar back toward the shaft and get it to bite and stay on.

Thanks for the help

Comment

Yep, stronger glasses, better light and a little more time are often the solution. It's often the little things like getting a bulb on the dash to work that offer the most satisfaction.

Comment

Working...
                  X