There are many like it, but this is my '49 FFPW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are many like it, but this is my '49 FFPW

In response to my post regarding fuel tank brackets, CS Cameron wanted to see pictures of my truck. Well here you go. The first is a picture of how my truck looked when I bought it.
    Attached Files

My son and I spent 6 months disassembling everything. Here's a shot of the frame before sand blasting and powder coat. And my frame fresh from powder coating. Now the fun starts as we get to start re-assembly!
    Attached Files

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for posting the pics. Keep posting as you put it back together.

Comment

Wonderful! How about some articles for the magazine, covering your project?
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

"My son and I spent 6 months disassembling everything. Here's a shot of the frame before sand blasting and powder coat. And my frame fresh from powder coating. Now the fun starts as we get to start re-assembly"

I would say you are doing the right things as a dad. Living in the SF area of Calif. you are very fortunate to own a PW, and have your son working with you in the restoration. Most kids are more interested in fiddling with an I Phone or XBox than getting greasy with wrenches. Keep it up. JH

Comment

Electronic devices are certainly stiff competition. My younger son (15) and I bought this truck as a project to work on together. Now that it's starting to look like a real truck again, my older son (17) has been sniffing around the garage and has been helping out some too. I'd like them both be able to at least know how to change their oil, a light bulb, or a leaky faucet without having to call someone.

Comment

I have two sons, adults, in their 30s. Both are excellent builders. One has always been active in mechanical repairs, wanting to do it himself as much as possible. The other has never really enjoyed mechanical stuff. He takes his vehicles to a mechanic for service. So I guess you work with the cards you were dealt when it comes to vocations. They either have a desire or they don't

Comment

Well, we've made some progress over the last week or so. We got the rear springs back together and hung, and we installed the rear axle housing. We found that the head on the NOS spring bolts were a little tall and they bottomed out in the mounting holes. We found that out after we had the U bolts all in place. Had to take the U bolts and housing back off and grind a little off both heads.

We also installed new bearings and races (all USA Timken) in the hubs and mounted those up. Last came the rear brakes and drums. I also tried to install the brake lines. I got the pre bent ones from VPW. The drivers side line was a bit short and took a bit of "adjustment" to get it to fit. With all that, it doesn't line up with the factory hold down clamps. The passenger side is at least a 1/2 to 1 inch short and would take a lot to maybe get it to go together at both ends. Has anyone else used these and had this problem?
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X