PW to rescue again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PW to rescue again!

It is amazing to me the people who buy an "all wheel drive" vehicle, and then think they can go anywhere in it.
    The is a Mazda AWD, and has only about 6"? clearance it looks like from the road to its bottom. The man who was driving got high centered at the beach.
    He had a wife and baby with him.
    He had no equipment, and also could not find the "hard point" that new vehicles have where you screw the big eye screw into the frame through a spot in the bumper that allows you a tow point.
    Anyway I was slightly amused when the local sheriff on the ATV asked me if I thought the PW would be able to get him out. I replied that "this truck can pull about anything"!
    Anyway he came out, although I spun a bit in the loose sand until he popped up. I saved him about a $300 commercial beach tow bill and he was very grateful.
    Attached Files

Excellent!
    For a moment I thinking it was a snow/ice rescue & I was wondering "Where is there snow in August?"
    Bucky

Comment

It's the end of July.

Close enough?

Here a tip from another Texan. Don't assume that the Colorado Visitors Bureau will describe the lovely summer weather correctly.

Yes, those shorts were the warmest clothes I brought to Colorado. Hey, it was July!

Comment

I love that WC Paul! Nice truck.

Comment

Give the credit to Tim Peterson

Tim designed the disc brake conversion that is used on the WC 3/4's, the M37 series, and the FFPW's. I bought it from him at the Vintage Rally in June 1998 just as you see it. This was the truck he used to test his design.

Comment

Air pressure

Doc Dave,

1st, that looks a lot like the outer banks of NC. Very nice beach wherever you are. Do you air down your tires before heading out onto the beach?

I run jeeps on the beach in Cape Cod and if you don't get down to 12psi...you will just dig the hole to bury your truck!!

Beautiful rig by the way

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
            It is amazing to me the people who buy an "all wheel drive" vehicle, and then think they can go anywhere in it.
            The is a Mazda AWD, and has only about 6"? clearance it looks like from the road to its bottom. The man who was driving got high centered at the beach.
            He had a wife and baby with him.
            He had no equipment, and also could not find the "hard point" that new vehicles have where you screw the big eye screw into the frame through a spot in the bumper that allows you a tow point.
            Anyway I was slightly amused when the local sheriff on the ATV asked me if I thought the PW would be able to get him out. I replied that "this truck can pull about anything"!
            Anyway he came out, although I spun a bit in the loose sand until he popped up. I saved him about a $300 commercial beach tow bill and he was very grateful.

Comment

Scott,
              Yes that is the Outer Banks. I have been going down there since around 1970 on vacation, but only have taken the truck down twice now.
              I air down to about 15 psi and that works pretty well with the lug style bias traction type tires.
              Even so, when I first tried to pull the guy out I started to spin down just a bit. He then put his vehicle in reverse and that little bit helped.
              Last time I was at the beach, another member of the PW family was running Michelins (11X16) on his truck and I think because they were radials, he did not have to air down.
              Thank you for the complement. Kirkwood is not a trailer queen, but I try to make her look good. I have used her to winch logs up from ravines as well as rescue vehicles.
              The Cape is beautiful. Have you taken a PW out on it?
              The OBX is getting harder to drive on with 4X4. The NPS has restricted where you go to smaller chopped up sections due ostensibly to bird nestings, and also raised the annual fee to over $100.
              I think these are the first of several actions to eventually eliminate driving on the beach by the gov't.

Comment

And I can't seem to post a darn picture

My truck is new to me and also not a trailer queen. 1st time I drove it was 956 miles from MI to NC. I live in Chapel Hill. I just got the truck and plan to do a few things. Mostly wiring needs to be replaced, windshield regulator, and I have a number of ideas for heat and noise that I have employed with other vehicles (1955 chev 2 door wagon for one). I also have a friend that powder coats and I may redo fenders and running boards. In the mean time i drive it all over

Cape is same as NC. they keep restricting the beaches and making it tougher. I think I will bring the truck to outer banks before I hit the cape so if you have any ideas I would love to know where is best.

Comment

Wow, 956 miles, you are brave, and i hope you had ear plugs!

I think you are smart to enjoy driving on the beach while you can. I doubt the next generation will be able to enjoy it. Already I have heard in CA it is very difficult to do.

I have some very close friends just west of you near Carrboro, so if we are down there visiting sometime maybe I could see your truck?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Cook View Post
                    Close enough?

Here a tip from another Texan. Don't assume that the Colorado Visitors Bureau will describe the lovely summer weather correctly.

Yes, those shorts were the warmest clothes I brought to Colorado. Hey, it was July!
                    Another thing on my bucket list - drive the PW in the Colo mountains!

Comment

finally figured it out

Doc Dave...tried to post this one earlier...no trailer queen but i try and keep it looking nice

Comment

Hey Doc!

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
                        Another thing on my bucket list - drive the PW in the Colo mountains!
                        I was thinking of you when I was above tree-line late in July. I found myself going to Summit Co. at the last minute, so I wound up going it alone...well, almost alone!

CD
                        Attached Files
                        1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                        1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                        2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                        1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                        1954 Ford 860 tractor
                        1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                        UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

I love everything about this thread! Keep it up guys! Can't wait to get my Carryall done to join Doc Dave and the crew down in OBX with the PWs on the beach!
                          1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

Worth in N.C.

Count me in next year when you plan your beach trip to OBX. Just finished my '68 FFPW. I wanted to make the trip this years but..... didn't work out.

Worth

Comment

Doc:

Looks like you had a blast, and I'm not the jealous type, but frankly I wish we could have joined you. I did go to the Car Show at Koons Ford in Annapolis while you were gone, with the promise they would have a Prius for me to pull with the winch.... They didn't, but we still had fun.

Let me know when you want to join us for some bbq and start on the NP200.

Wayne

Comment

Working...
                              X