Rear Axle Housing Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle Housing Installation

Yet another small detail I missed during disassemble. I just noticed that the U bolt plates that go under the axle housing are not symmetrical (at least in shape). One side is flat in the center (top in the photo) and the other is rounded (bottom in the photo). I'm not sure it matters which way they go on, but it might, so I was hoping that someone has either photographed this detail, or could check out their rear axle housing for me and let me know which is the front side. Mine is a '49 FFPW.
    Attached Files

The flat part is probably where the ingate was when they were cast. Shouldn't matter which way they are installed but I would install them with the flat area to the rear. With the smoother side forward there would less wind resistance and possibly gain you .001 more mph.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Irons View Post
      The flat part is probably where the ingate was when they were cast. Shouldn't matter which way they are installed but I would install them with the flat area to the rear. With the smoother side forward there would less wind resistance and possibly gain you .001 more mph.

Frank
      Frank, you are a thinking man's man..... ;^)

Comment

So they have to go with the flat part towards the rear axle. If you don't do that, the high beams will always be on and the heater will never work.

Wayne

PS: Why doesn't anyone take me seriously anymore....

Comment

Sort of Rear Axle Related

Regarding the split rings that go with the wheels, I know that a lot of guys paint them (silver or whatever), but I remember that someone told me that they were originally plated or anodized from the factory. Can someone give me some information on this?

Comment

Working...
          X