What engine--47 WDX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What engine--47 WDX?

So I am new to this forum. I've been hoping to buy a Power Wagon for several years now--started with trying to track down the 1947 WDX that my Dad had on our farm when I was a little kid and then sold in the mid-70s.

Through a series of lucky breaks, I very recently was able to actually locate and purchase that same truck and am now digging in and starting to figure out what I have and what I am going to do to restore it.

As I was looking the truck over last weekend I am uncertain about what I have for an engine. Interestingly the truck title (Kansas) shows what I believe to be the original motor number--T1376281, and that is one of the ways I confirmed it to be the same truck my Dad owned.

However, that motor is not in the truck at this point. The number pad on the block appears to me to have one number stamped over an original number. It is difficult to read but I think the original number stamped on the block begins with "D30" and then the number stamped partially over the top of it appears to begin with "E23."

From the T137 site and some other reading it looks to me like the D30 would be a "Dodge 6 Custom" from 1949.

But I can't find anything about the E23 number or what that might indicate.

Any ideas on what I have here? Would an additional number have been stamped on the D30 if it was rebuilt at some point?

Appreciate any guidance and I am sure I will be back a lot in the weeks and months to come.

Eric Smith

Welcome!
    It's absolutely fantastic that you found that truck.
    What kind of condition is it in now?
    Pictures?
    Sorry can't help with the engine ID. Someone hopefully will chime in.
    Its not uncommon for these truck to have been re powered with a different engine over the years.
    If it's a good runner it will be fine.
    Occasionally a T-137 engine will show up for sale.
    The T-137 site is great resource.
    Keep us posted.
    WDX & Misc. Pics.
    http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
    "47" Dodge WDX WW
    "52" Dodge M-37 WW
    "54" Willys M38A1
    "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
    "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
    "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
    "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
    "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
    "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Thanks Tom; I will fill in more at some point on the back story of the search for the truck and the moment of confirmation that I'd found it; excited would be a substantial understatement!

I'd post a photo or two if I was smart enough to do it. What's the trick--do I need to have the photos loaded in a web album so I can then post a hyperlink, or do I have to re-size them before I can link them using the paper clip?

Condition is interesting. After my Dad sold it in the 70s, the next owner removed the Series 1 bed and put a feed wagon box on it. By the time I bought it, the feed wagon box had been removed, no bed on it. However the son of the guy my Dad sold it to still had the original bed at his ranch (though without the rear fenders and running board continuation from the cab) and I've obtained it.

The original bed is going to need a lot more work but the entire truck needs to be restored. The prior owner had the engine running smoothly when we picked it up but with an electric fuel pump via a can of gas. Mechanically it is all there and working though not at a level to do more than drive around my Dad's farm yard at this point (iffy breaks, more iffy lights, etc).

I have no idea yet on what direction I will go with the restoration except it will be fun.

Eric Smith

Comment

It's really wonderful that you found the truck!
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Working...
        X