Weight Estimates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Estimates

My restoration continues but I have come to the reality that I need to outsource a few things to get things done in a timely manner and keep my relationship with my wife:) It kills my pride to have to do this as I love being able to see a complete project through, however need to be realistic about it all.

I'm after the estimated or close to actual weight of the following parts so I can ship them to a well known re-builder for overhaul. Before hand I need to get my budget cost in order with shipping:

230 Engine complete
    transfer case
    transmission
    front axlel
    rear axle

Thanks

For the price you will pay to have these parts done by a, "well known" engine re-builder, you can buy a nice truck in good running condition that you can drive when you want and pay attention to your wife as needed.

These trucks are not worth much, even in good condition. If you enjoy working on them, fine. If for some reason you can't re-hab the truck yourself, buy a truck that's already in the condition you want. You will be time, money and effort ahead, and maybe, still married.

Usable trucks can be bought for what I have seen charged for just an engine rebuild. Sending in items like differentials and transmissions for rebuild is unnecessary until you determine they need repair. They will usually outlasts the truck. And, in any event, good working units can be had, often for scrap price.

It's nice to dream, but if you follow through on your plans, it will could be a nightmare. Many of these dreams never get beyond tearing the truck into pieces.

Comment

Thank you for your words of advise and wisdom.

Comment

I second what gmharris said. I have 2 giant Dodge trucks, a W500 & W600.

I bought the W500 in 2009, as a non running but mostly complete project. Spent a lot of money & time going after it. I'm a do-it-yourselfer & intended to get it going. But since I have no place to keep it, its located at my Dad's place, 120 miles away. I seldom have the time/energy to deal with it. I gave up on making it a driver & am slowly dismantling it for parts. Its worth more that way. Sad.

The W600 is a different story. I bought it in Nov 2010 some 700 miles away, sight unseen. It was in excellent working order. The seller had a good recollection of what things he had replaced in the 15 yrs or so he owned it. I spent a lot of money to have it shipped to me the following July, but I hopped in it & drove it the moment it came off of the trailer.
        While I have done things to it all along, I have always been able to drive it & enjoy it. It may not be practical, but it brings me great pleasure.

So, my non-runner turned out to be a liability (headache). My "driver" is my pride & joy, an asset.

Everyone's situation is different, but I feel buying a complete running vehicle is usually a better choice in the long run than buying a project. As he said, many projects wind up being just a pile of parts.

Bucky

Comment

You asked for weight, and haven't gotten a response. I will ball park a couple of the weights, and throw in advice on the axles. You can take it for what it's worth.

Engine 750 LBS
          Transfer Case 140 LBS
          Transmission 100 LBS
          Front and Rear Axles (just pull the third member for rebuilding. Weighs, maybe 70-80LBS.)

The axle units are fairly straight forward to rebuild. Bearings/races, and seals are easy to replace. It is the third member that needs knowledge, tools, and experience to do well. If time is a problem, I suggest sending only the third member out for rebuild; there is little reason to pull the whole axle housing. Here is a neat trick: with the third member removed, a 5-foot rod or pipe can be used to punch out the bearing races. Enter through the left side to knock out the right side race, and enter through the right side to knock out the left. You get the idea. Go gently; no need for a big hammer.
          John

Comment

Thanks John. Much appreciated. Yes, sending in the third member was the idea now as shipping complete axles was proving to be expensive.

Because of the weight I may be in a position to continue where I left off and finishing some of it myself. Transmission, transfer case are torn down so I'm half way there.

Comment

Working...
            X