Reassembling windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reassembling windshield

So I pulled the windshield because the regulator needed to be rebuilt and the rubber gasket needed to be replaced. Because I can't leave well enough alone, I pulled the glass from the frame and have bead blasted the frame, epoxy primed and repainted. Now I am ready to put the glass back in and the old very thin "gasket" "rubber like" material needs to be replaced. The local window guy here suggested just laying it into a bead of urethane?

But I wanted the opinions of all of you experts

So what say you? Find another one of those thin "gasket like rubbers" or use urethane?

Thank you

What does urethane mean in this context?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

HMmmm

It was intended to mean the "goop" you shoot in with a caulking gun that is black and forms a water tight seal between the glass and the metal channel in which the glass sits.

Comment

I have not installed much auto glass, so I can't speak from a position of competence. I would say that if an auto glass installer thinks this material you describe would work better and could be easily serviceable later then it might be a great idea. You might check with one other auto glass installer to see if there is agreement.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Windshield

Scottwagon-

I did the same thing as you. Sandblasted and painted the frame. Took it to a local installer to put the glass in. Although I had a tube of epoxy that I bought from VPW, the installer chose to use random small strips of tape around the glass. Now I get a shower inside the cab every time it rains.

Will have to take it out and have a different installer do the job right.
          Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
          2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

yeah

I had the same shower, however unsatisfying, before I pulled the windshield. I think I will go with the fully modern option of "watertight"

Pictures coming when I get to actually set the glass and re-install

Thanks

Scott

Comment

The urethane will seal and hold up for a very long time if done right, though I'm not sure how serviceable it will be in the future, that stuff is very tough and has to be cut out.

It will seal better than older technology, but if you ever need it replaced I would make sure to find someone patient, and make sure they understand how careful they need to be with the windshield frame.

Comment

Just one thing...

Okay, so it's never just one thing, but here is one thing to consider. For many years glass was installed using a rubber gasket. These gaskets isolated the glass from any contact with the metal window frame.

Using any "gasket-in-a-tube" could allow the glass to have contact with the window frame which could result in cracks or other damage to the glass. If you use the "gasket-in-a-tube" it's advisable to use small rubber blocks all around the frame as spacers to hold the glass away from the frame. Having the spacers also lets the sealant flow to both sides of the glass and does a better job of preventing leaks.

This is not my opinion. I learned this in an auto repair course at the local community college several years ago when the methods and materials were changing.

Comment

The last windshield I had remounted was in a 38' Dodge last year. My glazier addressed Paul's concerns with an O-ring type material he carries in spools and then the standard black windshield adhesive used in modern cars. I've had no report of leaks or cracks from my niece who drives the car daily.

Comment

so that I understand; the o-ring cord was inserted as a centering method then the sealant was used? the glass was not totally set in sealant correct?

that may prove to be a method that could be serviced a bit easier.

Comment

glass tape

do a google search for glass tape it's a thin flat strip of rubber that you fold around the glass, fight to get it into the frame, and trim the exposed extra off with a razor blade when you're done. A small bottle of glycerine from the drug store makes assembly a lot more pleasant.

I have urethane windshield adhesive holding both door windows together in my m37. the truck is driven often with no problems, it's been holding up for the past 4 or 5 years.

Comment

So you installed with tape and then used urethane.

Originally posted by Matthew Ziegler View Post
                        do a google search for glass tape it's a thin flat strip of rubber that you fold around the glass, fight to get it into the frame, and trim the exposed extra off with a razor blade when you're done. A small bottle of glycerine from the drug store makes assembly a lot more pleasant.

I have urethane windshield adhesive holding both door windows together in my m37. the truck is driven often with no problems, it's been holding up for the past 4 or 5 years.

Comment

tape

I used tape on my 42 ford windshield. urethane on my m37 door windows.

Comment

Working...
                          X