Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

40's Dodge Power Wagon in Junkyard. Worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40's Dodge Power Wagon in Junkyard. Worth it?

I came across a Late 40's (Bed has four posts) Dodge Power Wagon that has been sitting in a local salvage yard for many years, probably since the 1980's? The salvage yard is owned by a friend of ours, and was wondering if its worth digging out and rescuing it?

Ive always had an interest in it since I was 16yrs old (now 19) and always had a vision of getting it back on the road, with modern running gear, but still keep that cool military off-road look. Its a rusty Ohio truck, its a complete truck but the cab is too far gone, the bed is rough, but the front end is decent.

I was kinda thinking of buying a cab from out west, and swapping the bed out for a diamond plate flatbed, then going with late model running gear. But not sure if its worth it to put money into it? Maybe just part it out?

What is your opinion without seeing any pix of the truck? Is it worth it? What parts on these trucks bring money? Anything to look for on this truck? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I was about to reply to your email, and then I saw this post.

Understand the difficulty of estimating the value of old things. Add to that the fact that we have no photographs, we don't really know what the vehicle is, and we don't know what you're thinking about spending on it. All of that makes your proposition essentially impossible.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you need to understand that we really have nothing to work with on this end. We need some help!
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Check the chassis for severe rust, especially in the cross-members. Look carefully around the spring hangers; sometimes there is cracking in the frame at these points. You will also want to make sure that the drive train is all accounted for. If the engine is there, has it been covered? Has it been dismantled? Is it rusted up tight?

You should plan on completely rebuilding the drivetrain and chassis. My experience says that even the front and rear third members will be rusted above the oil line; moisture enters through the vent. If you are very competent, you can rebuild it all yourself. I would estimate a complete rebuild with new brakes, etc, to cost around 12,000-15,000 dollars. That's just my guess assuming the chassis is worth saving; then comes the body.

I don't mean to be discouraging. You may have a doable project. Make a careful estimate of time and expenses involved, double it, and you are probably in the ball park.

Good luck. Let us know what you find. And always, always, always post a picture or two.
      John

Comment

Rereading your original post, I now see you are planning on swapping in a modern running gear. That leaves me in total agreement with Gordon. It's a great dream, but you may not have enough material left in that particular truck to make it a reality.
        John

Comment

My opinion, from what you have said about the condition of the truck and about your intentions to add newer running gear, the truck is not suitable for your project. However, in my opinion, any Power Wagon is worth saving, if for no other reason than to part it out or to make it available to someone else who needs the parts. Try to buy the truck for scrap value or less (ha) and keep it for parts you might need or make it available for someone else who needs it.

Comment

There are very few parts on a scrap Power Wagon that are probably worth salvaging. That's why the truck is still sitting there.

And, there are very few young men who have the resources to deal with this kind of a project.

Keep Power Wagons in the back of your mind. And, then, later in life when you have the resources, buy a nice Power Wagon from one of us old guys. I doubt there will be much demand for them in 15 or 20 years.

In the meantime, get a running, driving transportation vehicle that you can work on and learn the skills necessary to restore an older vehicle.

If the truck has a good bed and rear fenders, you might be able to make some money selling parts. Pretty much everything else is readily available

Comment

Thank you all for the replies, I really appreciate it! But after looking at it again, I agree, its a parts truck. I had just always thought about fixing it up and bringing it back to life, but it sat for so long here in Rusty Ohio, its WAY to far gone. Maybe someday I could pickup an old Power Wagon from out west, with very little rust and start from there.

The gentleman who owns the Power Wagon would probably take $150-$300 for it, if I asked him. He really doesn't run a TRUE salvage anymore, so he doesn't sell much out of his yard. But I'm always able to buy stuff from him for very reasonable prices ( like $5 for a bundle of parts).

What kind of parts on the Power Wagon bring money? Anything? Grille, Hood, Bumpers? If I end up buying it for parts, I would like to know if I would be able to double my money, if not then its not worth messing with for me since just getting it home will be a challenge. As many of you guys were saying, it would be nice to save it so others could use the parts off of it.

My father has been into Classic Cars and Trucks for over 30yrs, So I have learned A LOT about vehicles from him over the years. My first vehicle was a 1977 Ford F-100, which was a project when I got it, and I ended up going through all the brakes, fuel system, putting new tires on it and so on. After I got done, it was a daily driver for awhile till I sold it and bought something newer that is a more practical everyday vehicle. So now, Ive been looking for an old (50's and older) truck to fix up and have some fun in.

Again I really appreciate all of your guy's help on this! THANK YOU!

Comment

"What kind of parts on the Power Wagon bring money? Anything? Grille, Hood, Bumpers? If I end up buying it for parts, I would like to know if I would be able to double my money, if not then its not worth messing with for me since just getting it home will be a challenge. As many of you guys were saying, it would be nice to save it so others could use the parts off of it."
                Like others have said, pictures help. Otherwise it's pretty hard to answer.
                If it has a set of Warn or other locking hubs on the front, I will buy them from you. If it has a winch, that is worth money, depending on the condition.
                I have a friend who is looking for headlight bucket assemblies, and he would buy them. The list goes on. If front fenders are good, running boards? If you can get it home for under $500 and any of the sheet metal or other parts are good, and not rusted through, go for it.

Comment

Here is what all of you guy's have been waiting for..........A PICTURE!

I know, Its just a photo of the rear. Don't have any pix of the front yet, its pretty well surrounded by a bunch of other vehicles and thorn bushes. Will try and get some more photos next time I had down to his place. The front end of it has had a piece of steel roofing lad over it for many years. But I will tell you that the motor is locked tighter than a drum, but is complete with carburetor and all, which is probably all scrap? But at least you now have a ball park idea of what shape she is in.

Comment

where is it located?

Comment

Originally posted by dirty tools View Post
                      where is it located?
                      I don't think he will want to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                        I don't think he will want to say.
                        Sorry, but I will respect the owner and not give out the location. My brother and I used to spend our weekends down at his place, going through his yard and finding things. One weekend we had found Two 1920's Ford Model AA School Buses. The gentleman only allows close friends to go back in his yard, so its more of a Private salvage yard.

Comment

Can't really tell but it looks like it might have small lock rings on the rims, check and see if you can tell what gear ratio the rear ends are, if it is 4.89 ratio buy the whole thing and part it out and make some money on it. If the other Power Wagon emblem on the hood looks as good as the one in the picture you can recover at least 1/2 of the 150.00 dollar price, besides pulling the thing home and parting it out will give you some experience working on the Power Wagon's and will learn whats cost what. Also that rear fender looks dented but did not see any rust out, those if the other one is the same would bring you a large profit from the purchase price from the get go! Any sheet metal parts that are not rusted out would put you in the money!! Go for it and learn! Fleabag!!

Comment

Originally posted by RustyPowerWagon View Post
                            Sorry, but I will respect the owner and not give out the location. My brother and I used to spend our weekends down at his place, going through his yard and finding things. One weekend we had found Two 1920's Ford Model AA School Buses. The gentleman only allows close friends to go back in his yard, so its more of a Private salvage yard.
                            I don't question your view, plus.... it's your deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                              I don't question your view, plus.... it's your deal.
                              Thank You, Gordon! If I can work out a deal on this sweetheart, I will let you know. Seems like the Rear fenders bring some money, when they are not rusted out, correct? The truck even has its original spare in the back of the bed.

The Story goes on this truck, that it was apparently owned by a gentleman back in the day (late 70's early 80's) that lived down the street from my father, and this truck was his project truck that he was going to put a Chrysler 440 in it, but was killed while working for the Department of Transportation, when a truck had ran him over. So what I heard is that his wife didn't want anything to do with it, so she got rid of it, and now it remains here rotting away waiting for someone like me to rescue it.

Comment

Working...
                              X