Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic Ignition- re-posted

Just realized I posted this in the W series section- so re-posting here-

Well, the engine's finally running well after 2nd head gasket prob solved. It was very wet last week and harder starting than usual in dry weather so it's new wires, coil, and maybe dist innards upgrade.

I've used Pertronix units before and they worked well.

Any recent experiences here using a Pertronix on the 251??

Looks like model 1381a is what will work. Will also get one their "flamethrower" 40KV coils

Thanks.

http://www.flyingtigertransport.com

Several here use the pertronix Ign. with good service.
    However when it quits your done,unless you carry a replacement or points and tools to covert back.
    I tossed the idea around for my truck but have had zero problems with my points in nine years of service.
    I do regular pm on the truck and do carry a spare point and condensor at all time. Never had to use them. If I do have a problem a quick touch up with a piece of emery cloth and adj. and I'm on my way.
    As far as starting it starts fine.
    TGP
    WDX & Misc. Pics.
    http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
    "47" Dodge WDX WW
    "52" Dodge M-37 WW
    "54" Willys M38A1
    "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
    "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
    "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
    "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
    "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
    "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Spare and regular PM

Thanks Tom. Good observation about single point of failure with the Pertronix.

You've nailed the major problem with carrying spares and regular PM. My hard-starting last week was prob due to very wet conditions, original wires, coil, and questionable capacitor (not sure what the PO did or didn't do).

So at a minimum I'm changing the coil, new wires and plug caps, and good examination of the points - maybe just change out the cap.

With the Pertronix I'm looking for a hotter spark and better dwell control in the rev range. I finally got the vacuum spark advance working, and it's now running correctly - way more power and no overheating. I'm sure both those were related to timing errors finally corrected.

Comment

If you are having trouble with the dwell varying, the distributor bushings may be worn.

Comment

I've thought about the Pertronix, but frankly my point system works great and has never had a problem in two years. Is this the engine you had rebuilt at Jasper? I hate to say this, but did you or they replace the points/wires/plugs etc when you put it back together? Somebody took a short cut if you did not...

Cruise on down a few miles South this weekend and I will be happy to look at it for you.

wayne
          3d.wayne@gmail.com

Comment

I use points in all my vehicles but just thinking about my other vehicles with electronic ignition (76 d100, 77 Chevy impala) have not give me any problems both are original units not sure about the life of the Pertronix.

However you could carry a spare, it's not too hard to swap a distributor.

Comment

Using Pertronix 1564

I put a 251 in my Carryall and while I didn't have any problems with the points and condenser I switched over to the Pertronix #1564 with the same coil. I carry the old points and hardware but will probably purchase a spare Pertronix. Starts easily and runs great.

Comment

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water

One of the really nice things about older technology is that the components always send a warning signal before they wear out. For instance, the mechanical fuel pump will start leaking fuel out the weep hole as the diaphram is beginning to fail - giving the driver advance notice and time to replace it. An electric fuel pump will just stop working and may leave you stranded. A mechanical window winding mechanism will become increasingly difficult to crank before the gear teeth actually break giving advance notice that the unit needs to be lubricated. An electric actuator will just quit without any notice.

As Tom and others have mentioned, an electronic ignition will just stop working without warning when it has reached the end of its life. A point system is always relaying feedback to the driver. The classic indication that points are in need attention is - hard starting.

Comment

Working...
                X