Tail and brake lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail and brake lights

So I have tradition two filament light fixtures for brake and tail lights and then a previous owner did a poor job of installing single filament fixtures on the outside edges of the rear most cross member under the tailgate.

Does anyone make a two bulb fixture that could handle tail, brake, and blinkers?

Bar that, anyone have any other creative solutions? Pictures appreciated?

[QUOTE=Scottwagon;103678]
    a previous owner did a poor job of installing single filament fixtures on the outside edges of the rear most cross member under the tailgate.
    What is their purpose?

Does anyone make a two bulb fixture that could handle tail, brake, and blinkers?

Bar that, anyone have any other creative solutions? Pictures appreciated?
    Use a fixture with a 2-filament bulb. The turn signal switch sorts all that out.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

The single filament bulbs are just turn signals

The two filament fixture handles tail lights and break lights

I just came across a YNZyesterdayparts option that has a switch that can handle all three with a two filament bulb

This may be an option ford what you referenced

Comment

I don't think it was common (if they did it at all) for old trucks to use more than one light bulb (1157) to handle brake, turn and tail lights.

It sounds like you may be best off returning the tail light system to the one bulb per side system that was originally used on Power Wagons.

I suspect you will find that the turn signal switch you have is defective. The function that controls the switch between turn signals and brake lights often fails. It sounds like a previous owner was trying to work around this failure.

I wonder if anybody knows when the 1157 bulb was first used? It's been around for a long time.

Comment

I found a set of vintage glass lens tail lights out of a 1950ish vehicle, these used an1157 bulb and matched the pw just fine. I am not sure what they are out of but they worked great, so I would recommend looking for an existing set up off a vintage vehicle. Worked well for me. I'll post a pic later.

Comment

Tail lights

If you want, you can still get reproduction lights and even a new signal stat turn signal switch. Check with Vintage PW or Roberts. Appropriate brackets can also be purchased.

As GMHarris said, the turn signal switch handles all the functions. Mine was flaky and caused a lot of problems. Other issue was a lack of good ground. It can be wired correctly but not work if the components aren't grounded well.

Here is a picture of a new light that I purchased and installed.
            Attached Files
            Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
            2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Working...
            X