Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Owner Has Some Questions...

Hi all,

I am really new to the ffpw world, just got my 1946 this fall. From a 30 year sitting dead duck it's now all up and running. Everything is working except the gas gauge, I'll work on that soon. I 12v converted it, rewired the entire truck and found a donor truck with a braden winch. I now have that installed and working. But wow who designed that pto, what a beast to get off :).

Anyhow now that I have some more ffpw experience under the belt I have some questions for the veterans out there.

1. The old 6 is a little tired and will need a rebuild. So I am considering a cummins 4BT. Is this a feasible swap, I didn't find much on it with power wagons. Does it fit well under hood? Will a belt fan work or do you have to electric? Also will this swap accomodate using the stock tranny to run the winch pto? Or in all reality is it better to rebuild the 6. Now I know a purist will always go stock, I am usually that way. I plan to keep all the 6 banger stuff and can always go back. I just want to know if 4bt's work well in a ffpw and can the front winch pto work with it.

2. Any gas gauge help/troubleshooting would greatly be appreciated. The gauge has 3 posts on it, not 100% what is what there and the truck also has the 2 post sending unit. I am not positive on what ohm rating it is and also how do you check the ohms on that unit. So any help on the schematic and ohm stuff there would help. I do already have the runtz 12v>6v converter. I could get the gauge to move when grounding it out, it moved to just under half. So the gauge moved but that is as high as I could get it to read.

I just freekin love these trucks, when I walk into my shop it makes me smile. My wife doesn't get it, but thanx to shows like Counting Cars, Fast and Loud, she is starting to understand these love affairs.

Thanx in advance for any help gents!! I'm certain that there is a wealth of info from this forum. I read somewhere once "learn from other peoples mistakes and experience, because you will never live long enough to make them all yourself"

So true, and here I ask.

Did I mention I have been a full blooded Chevy man for the past 25 years. Went through the muscle car phase, did the 67-71 trucks, did the 67-71 4X4's and just restored a 1979 Crew Cab Dually 454 4x4. So the Dodge world is new to me, but certainly loving it!

Bilfman: I think if money was no object the 4BT is a good choice, and I believe there are a number of posts who have done that. You might find more info in the diesel conversion forum on this site. Check here: http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...splay.php?f=38

I calibrated both my temperature gauge and my fuel gauge by adding resistors in series with the sensor. At least now when I am low and running out of gas the gauge reads less than 1/4 tank... And I know the top side of the "A" in the HEAT is about 185 degrees. What gauge are you working on?

Wayne

Comment

My heat gauge is fine it is a numbered ether unit and is functioning well. Just trying to get the fuel gauge working. The fuel gauge has 3 posts on the back in a triangle config .'. kind of like that. Not sure what is what on those.

Thanx for the link, I gotz some reading/reasearch to do.

Comment

Begin by cleaning and verifying integrity of all connections, including ground connections. Get a service manual with a wiring diagram. Vintage Power Wagons has repros available.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Working...
        X