Rear PTO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear PTO

What is a rear PTO worth? I am just talking about the unit that bolts to the side of the tranny. That and the handle to engage disengage.

Always a tough question. The answer you don't want is whatever someone is willing to pay. I have a dual output one sitting at home right now from my '46 that I can't seem to get rid of.

You'll need to be specific though. I assume it's for the 46 you list, which uses a different tranny and therefore a different PTO than later trucks. There were also versions with outputs in only one or both directions. That would also change the value.

Condition would be another issue, the one I have is probably original, it was used on a tow truck so it was used more than most probably would be, it could have been rebuilt/replaced at some point or maybe not. I wouldn't expect top dollar on something that a restorer will need to go through.

Do you have all the bolts to mount it, I have heard they were somewhat unique and that could affect things too.

Worst case you could call VPW and ask for a price, they will be high for what you could expect but they probably have a better handle on value then most.

Comment

Ok thanx. It is out of the 46 and does have all the bolts, though they did not appear to be anything special. It appears to be a 1 output shaft and 1 direction.

Comment

Originally posted by bilfman View Post
        Ok thanx. It is out of the 46 and does have all the bolts, though they did not appear to be anything special. It appears to be a 1 output shaft and 1 direction.
        The single/dual output is usually the big difference. There was only one output shaft but on my truck a PTO shaft attached to the front side of the output shaft for the winch on the bumper, and a second shaft attached to the back side of the PTO shaft that ran to the bed mounted winch through a chain drive.
        Attached Files

Comment

I think (but don't know) that all factory PTO's were dual output. I have a PTO with only one shaft facing toward the rear, but I'm sure it's an aftermarket PTO.

As far as value, I'd say about $100, plus or minus $50 depending on condition, location, how badly you want it and how badly he wants to sell it. Shipping is a major factor.

As far as the bolts, I believe two are special locating bolts on the factory PTO. If the PTO you are looking at doesn't have them, they may not be the correct bolts or the PTO may be aftermarket. Check the casting number.

By the way, VPW wanted $600 for a rebuilt PTO.

Comment

Thanx for the info, new to the ffpw scene. Just trying to fumble my way around:). That said I love the trucks!

Comment

Working...
            X